Unimpressed

My staff know the rule: no Christmas carols before December first. I've even been known to say that I hate Christmas. But that's not completely true.

I hate the busyness of Christmas.

The stress.

The burden I place upon myself to have the house spotlessly clean with all curtains washed, furniture polished, and not a cobweb to be seen inside or out.

I hate the present buying because I am notoriously bad at choosing presents.

I hate the Christmas rush in all the shops (and I don't even live in a big city).

I hate the disappointments.

And resurrected childhood memories.

I hate the fear that the turkey won't be cooked to perfection.

Or that we'll be left with too much Christmas Mazurka. (Wait, why is that a problem?)

I hate that it comes around too fast, especially when I feel as if we should still be back in May. (Where has the year gone?)

But there are things that I love about Christmas.

Remembering the Saviour's birth.

Nativity plays. (Okay, only sometimes. And only if my granddaughters are suitably attired. Yes, I'm looking at you!)

Christian Christmas carols. (If I have to listen to Snoopy's Christmas one more time I am going to throw it out the window.)

Traditions such as making Christmas pudding together and decorating the tree.

Cards from friends.

Surprises.

Christmas Mazurka.

And making home made gifts (even if sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for the pressure I put myself under or for the gift I've chosen to make or both).

This year, as always, I've left my gift-making to the last minute. I had already decided that it would be a no-sewing year due to on going problems with my back, but when Son#2 reminded me that The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6 was expecting a Christmas stocking this year, I knew I couldn't say no.

So yesterday I sat down to sew, telling myself I didn't have to get it all done in one day, but to listen to my body and take it slow. (I know what I should do but whether I do it is another thing.) As a result, this ...


became this ...



and with some more sewing and the addition of some binding, soon turned into this ...


And then this ...


Which was proudly presented to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6 who couldn't have cared less!




And all without a back pain in sight. Not even a twinge!



(By the way, these hearts were last year's home made gifts. I can't recall how many I made but it was lots. I loved them so much I gifted myself some - and left them up half the year which is virtually unheard of for me.)





 
I think they about sum up the season ... don't you?

Comments