Competition

I hate to admit it but I can be rather competitive at times.

So when my sister experienced Cyclone Debbie, well I had to get in on some of the action too. I mean, little Sis couldn't have all the fun.

So after wrecking havoc on Queensland's coast, and causing flooding across Queensland and NSW, Cyclone Debbie has left her mark on New Zealand in the form of wind and rain.

And threats of impending floods.

A State of Emergency has been declared in our area. Schools and Early Childhood Centres have been closed. Predictions of a 'historic flood' (whatever that means) abound. It is expected to be worse than the flood of 2015 that saw The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2's birthday party cancelled.

This time there is time to prepare. Time to evacuate. Time to secure property and precious possessions.

And time in another sense also. Thanks to the Ministry of Education (and for once that is not said sarcastically) I have a day off work!

Update: This turned out to be nothing more than a storm in a tea cup. As did the following storm from Cyclone Cook that made landfall on the day before Easter Friday. Still, it's better to be prepared than to suffer loss of property or life because one ignored the warnings. But I wonder, will people pay attention to the warnings next time or has the Met Service called "wolf" one too many times?

Comments