Blessing

It was a busy day, nearing the end of a busy week.

I had spent the morning and more of the afternoon than intended at work. We were a teacher short and it looked as if I was going to have to work until the end of the day and I was wondering how I was going to fit everything in when another teacher offered to work. She was about to take two days off and was probably glad of the extra income.

I came home and gulped down a late lunch while making clay dough for Christmas decorations. After that I took my mother-in-law shopping and we both bought more than what was on our lists. (Actually I didn't get anything on my list but I did get a few extras.)

Home again to pick up the dough and back to work for extra-curricular activity. Clean up and then, finally, home again.

DH was already home and was putting dinner on. There was a bowl of freshly picked strawberries on the kitchen bench and the dishes were all washed and draining. I assumed he had done them and felt so grateful that I didn't have to deal with a messy kitchen on top of everything else.

I checked my messages and there was one from Son#2 that I didn't understand. (If it's urgent, he'll ring back, I decided.) Dinner almost ready and DH made a comment and I suddenly realised that he hadn't done the dishes, he hadn't picked the strawberries.

Who had?

DIL#1 has been in our home earlier in the day with The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1 and #2 but she had left about the time I was going back to work and the dishes were still sitting on the bench.

There was no sign that Son#4 had been home during the afternoon and I knew that I hadn't had a chance to do them before going back to work. (Well, at least I didn't think I had. It's been such a crazy week that it's possible that I could have and not remembered.)

As I was drying the dishes and putting them away I realised who the house fairy had been (or at least which family he/she belonged to). A baby food jar gave it away.

To come home at the end of a tiring day and find someone had cleaned my kitchen - someone who has as much - if not more - work to do on a daily basis than what I do - was a huge surprise and an incredible blessing.

I just wish there was also a house fairy who did housework on a regular basis!

Comments