Almost Tropical

I can't believe it's almost half-way through June and we're still enjoying lovely weather. Some days have been cold, but not many. The night temps are definitely dropping, but overall even I can't complain about the temperature (and believe me, when it gets cold, I let you know how miserable I'm feeling - this Aussie girl has never acclimatised to New Zealand's colder winters). Today's temp is a mild 16 degrees Celsius, which equates to 60.8 degrees Fahrenheit (according to my trusty online converter).

We've had a dry Autumn and now Winter is promising much of the same. Sadly, this means that the powers-that-be are concerned about the possibility of an energy crisis since something like 50% of our power comes from hydroelectricity. From Sunday there will be a nation-wide campaign to reduce electricity consumption.

Consumers are already feeling the effects of rising petrol prices and rising grocery prices (especially milk, butter and cheese) and now we're being told to cut electricity consumption. Don't they realise that we're trying to save money wherever we can and we've already been turning off lights and appliances that we don't need?

Personally, I'm not sure where we could cut our household consumption except perhaps to start using the dishwasher rather than washing dishes by hand as I've been told this uses less power and less water. However, it would be such a shame to deprive the boys of one of their 'favourite' chores!

Comments

Unknown said…
It fascinates me that in your part of the world it is almost winter, while we are in the start of summer. It sounds like where you are is experiencing the same issues with rising prices as we are. I am amazed at how much food prices have gone up (and gas prices). It has to be wonderful to have your boys do the dishes :). Evie is getting big enough that she is starting to help around the house some.
SchnauzerMom said…
It's funny when you talk about it being cold in June, then I remember where you are.
Jules said…
It's always strange for me when we're freezing down here and I read blogs and messageboards and almost everyone's complaining about the heat. I love hot weather and wish it would never end.