A Spiritual Giant

My MIL is an incredible woman. She has raised eight amazing children and was only prevented from having the dozen she wanted by the possibility that another pregnancy would leave her blind. Now widowed and in her eighties she enjoys twelve grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

She is really an amazing lady.

She’s also short.

Very short. I’m 157 cm (almost 5’2”) and I tower over her. In our family the boys used grandma as a milestone on the way to manhood. When they passed her they would each breath a sigh of relief. It was as if they felt that they could now leave childhood behind as they were well on the way to becoming men (and not too-short men either). I guess when you’re from a family of short people, being able to say you’re taller than someone is an accomplishment.

Over the years we would hear “I’m finally taller than grandma” from each of our sons and there would be celebration. Alas for the baby in the family. When he finally shot past grandma I heard him announce one day, “I’m taller than grandma”. Son#2, who will never be known for great physical heights, laughed and replied, “Everyone’s taller than grandma!”

Poor Son#5 thought he had reached the line only to learn that the line had been moved. Son#2 is right though: everyone is taller than grandma. Well almost everyone.

However few can surpass her in spiritual height. A beautiful Christian lady, mature and gracious, and a powerful pray-er, I have learnt from her what it means to be a godly MIL and have many times modelled my behaviour on what I’ve seen her do. I’ve never heard her say a mean thing about anyone, and the warmth and acceptance and love she showed me when I entered the family taught me how to welcome my own DIL when the time came.

Yes, she may be small, but she’s also a spiritual giant.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow, she sounds like an amazing woman. What a blessing to have such a Godly mil. My mil is a wonderful, Godly woman who is my closest friend. I hear about women who have horrible relationships with their in-laws, and I am so thankful that I am not one of those women!
Jules said…
Jen, same. So many of my friends have terrible relationships with their MILs. Admittedly some MILs are jealous of their son transfering his affection and having a beautiful young woman as a 'rival', but I can't help but wonder if sometimes it goes both ways? I adore my MIL but DH's SIL doesn't share the feeling and it's because she wants to find fault.
SchnauzerMom said…
She sounds like a great lady!