That's Gratitude For You

I sent a text message to Son#4 telling him to wait at school with his younger brother and that I'd pick them up as soon as I got off work. I thought I was doing them a favour because it was raining and the weather prediction was that it would deteriorate even more before the day was done.

When I got to school did they say "We really appreciate that you went out of your way to pick us up so that we wouldn't get wet and cold"? No. What they did say was: "We could have been home twenty minutes earlier if we'd walked." And because I'm obviously lacking in the brain cell department, they made sure to repeat it just to make sure I understood.

Of course, had they walked home and ended up all wet and cold and miserable they most likely would have asked "Why didn't you pick us up?"

I don't expect thanks. I don't even expect gratitude. But I do wish they'd not complain so loudly!

Comments