Homesick

I hate it when this happens. I'm tired. I've had six hours sleep. I want more. I've been sick and I'm on antibiotics and I need my sleep. But I'm an early morning person and once I'm awake, that's usually it for me. After lying in bed staring up at the dark I realised that I wasn't going to get back to sleep.

So I'm here instead.

Last night was the Opening Ceremony for the Olympic Games. I didn't stay up and watch it since it was going to continue into the wee small hours of the morning and I needed my sleep. I didn't know when the Australians were going to be marching, but the New Zealanders were going to be toward the end. It was going to be a long night.

This is the fourth set of Games since we moved to New Zealand. We get coverage of the Games but from a New Zealand perspective. And when New Zealand gains a medal we see the winning race again and again and again (it's a small country and it doesn't usually win that many medals so they make the most of each one).

It's at times like this that I feel really homesick. I want to be at home watching the Games, seeing the Australians winning, and being updated on their medal tally. The New Zealand media doesn't keep me informed on how the Australians are doing unless it's something spectacular - good or bad.

This makes it sound like I'm a big Games follower. I'm not really. I'm just patriotic. I want to hear my National Anthem (it's been so long) and see my fellow citizens do well.

And I hope I don't have to see the haka.

There! I said it. The New Zealanders are proud of their haka. It's their national cultural dance, used to convey challenge, welcome, exultation, defiance or contempt. It's often used at international sporting events to symbolise power, invincibility and ruthlessness. I think they use it too much - but then I'm not a New Zealander.

I'd rather hear "Waltzing Matilda". It's my national folk song. I grew up singing it at school, acquainted with all the folklore that went with it. I love hearing it and haven't heard it for years. I'd love to hear it at the Games. But the New Zealanders would really hate that!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I used to watch the Olympics with my dad but I haven't watched them in years.

I hope you get the rest that you need!

I like the song Waltzing Matilda too, I first heard it in music class in school many years ago.
Unknown said…
I bet that would be hard watching the games and not being in your homeland. I know that every time I hear our national anthem it makes me teary. I'm sure you really miss hearing yours. I have never heard the Waltzing Matilda before. It sounds like it would be a neat song.
April said…
I love Waltzing Matilda. I heard it recently in some old movie I was watching and I ending up humming it the rest of the day.

I hope you're feeling better!