It's in the Genes

My mother tells the story of my maternal grandmother washing all the curtains in her house when the church members were meeting there for a prayer meeting. My mother always kept a tidy neat house but she couldn't understand why anyone would wash curtains prior to a prayer meeting. As she told it, everyone should've had their eyes closed anyway and the state of the house should have been the last thing on their minds.

I suspect I'm a little like my grandmother.

Our Bible Study group will be meeting in our home tomorrow afternoon and I've been running around trying to clean up. I couldn't just stick with the weekly chores. I also had to get rid of all the cobwebs hanging from the beams in my living room. I wish I felt well enough to attack the cobwebs in other rooms too. I know they're there, and that bothers me.

Anyway, our Bible Study group isn't coming here to judge my housekeeping skills (well they shouldn't be) but to study the Bible. It's just that I feel guilty when the house is not up to my standards. Yet I don't expect others to be perfect - so why do I expect it of myself?

And just to keep me humble (or in a constant state of pulling my hair out), today DH decided to pull out the wall between my linen cupboard and our hot water cupboard. I have the vague idea that another time the study group was to meet at our place he started pulling out walls then too.

Not long after he started, Son#1 and DIL#1 and The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World turned up. In her own sweet way the Most Adorable Granddaughter added to the mess that was being made. At least it meant that when I finally got to vacuum I could see the difference!

I'm still waiting for DH to finish building so that I can vacuum where he's been working. I hate sitting here knowing that it's not done. It preys on my mind and I won't be able to fully relax until I know the house is as clean as can be.

And if I don't get time to get it done before the group meets tomorrow? Thankfully you're all too far away to hear me if I scream!

Comments

Unknown said…
My Grandmother (on my mom's side)was like that too. Very tidy and neat, especially when people came over. I have trouble with that as well. I have to really work at being more like Mary instead of Martha!
SchnauzerMom said…
I'm inclined to agree with your mom! But I do hope your house meets your expectations by tomorrow!
April said…
I hope your Bible study went well - and you weren't stressed with clean house worries. I know I'm a fanatic when people come over; I want everything to be perfect. But like you, I don't judge others when I am in their houses. We can be so critical of ourselves!