Daylight Saving

Last night we put our clocks forward an hour. Daylight Saving - I hate it! It's not so bad now that the children are older, but when they were little, trying to get them to sleep at night was next to impossible since it was so light at bed time. Although I can't complain too loudly. Compared to other parts of the world, we have more than enough hours of darkness on a summer evening to get all the beauty sleep we need (but I'd still prefer no Daylight Saving Time).

Today after church we picked up fish 'n' chips and went and sat down by the beach to enjoy them. Afterwards, to work off that extra fat in our diet, we walked along the beach. It's not the prettiest beach in the world. In fact, I would hazard a guess that it's one of the ugliest beaches in existence, but there's still something wonderful about the feel of sand beneath you as you walk, the smell of salt on the wind, the sound of waves crashing and seagulls screeching, and always the fun of searching for shells and pumice and pretty pieces of driftwood. And at least DH didn't roll his eyes too much when I zipped up my big winter jacket (well I was cold).

Afterwards we took DH's mother out to the cemetery. Today would have been my FIL's 85th birthday had he still been living. Husband, father, grandfather, brother, friend - he was a wonderful man and is still dearly missed by all who knew him. A soldier who fought for the NZ Army during World War Two, he underwent surgery on his twenty-first birthday to remove a bullet from his wrist. He rarely talked about his war experiences, although in his later years he opened up a little to his grandchildren. And he never ate pizza because he claimed he'd had enough of Italian food during the war!

My FIL died while on holiday in Perth, Australia. One moment he was talking to his wife, the next moment he was gone. No warning, no pain, nothing. Having watched his daughter, his sister and one brother die a lingering death, it was a blessing that he went so quickly despite the shock we experienced at his passing.

Today is also the second birthday of my niece - the granddaughter that my FIL never met. My niece is part-Japanese. Perhaps an irony considering my FIL's war experience, but I know my FIL would have adored her. He had a big heart especially where his family was concerned and he would have welcomed my SIL with open arms (after all, he'd already welcomed an Aussie into the family - me! - what could be worse than that especially for a dyed-in-the-wool-Kiwi?).

Memories. Celebrations. Faith. Family. Love. These are part of the legacy my FIL left us and which we hope to pass onto our children and our children's children.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13, NIV)

Comments

April said…
Oh I hate Daylight Savings too! Soon it will be dark here at 5:00 pm! I hate it hate it hate it!

I miss the beach. We used to go at least once a year and I've not been in three or four years now. I so agree that there is just something about "the feel of sand beneath you as you walk, the smell of salt on the wind, the sound of waves crashing and seagulls screeching". Your words make me want to go back so much...

I think quick deaths are the kindest. Both my parents died like your FIL - very suddenly. While it is a painful shock for those living, I don't think anyone would choose to see their loved ones suffer.

Nice post Jules... :)
SchnauzerMom said…
Your FIL sounds like a very special person. I'm glad you have such great memories of him. Must be nice to have a beach of any kind to walk on. It's been nearly 20 years since I've been to a beach. I'm pretty much landlocked.
Jules said…
I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but in New Zealand, wherever you live, you're not more than a few hours drive at the most from a beach. We can drive to the beach in 5 minutes, to the mountain in an hour and a half. We're quite spoilt really!
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry to hear about your FIL.