Fathers Day

It seems that we celebrate much later in the year than many of our friends up-over, but today is Fathers Day here in New Zealand and Australia.

Fathers Day has never been big in our household. While I might get breakfast in bed on Mothers Day (and I will never forget the year the boys served me up undercooked eggs on cold toast with cold tea and I actually ate it) poor DH is lucky if someone remembers to say "Happy Fathers Day" to him.

It seems that those sons that have already left home are more appreciative of their father. This year he received chocolates from Son#1, a card (and badge!) in the mail from Son#2, and more chocolates from Son#3. I'm not even sure if either of his two remaining sons wished him a happy day let alone made him a cup of coffee today!

Is it just in our family that the mothers are made a bigger fuss of than dads, or is it more widespread? I actually feel a little guilty.

I have been blessed with a wonderful husband and my sons with a wonderful dad. I think they realise it - they just don't know how to show it.

I'm no different. Soon I will ring my dad and we'll probably chat for a few minutes before he'll hand the phone over to mum and we'll talk for an hour or more. It's just the way it is.

My dad was like many dads in the sixties and seventies: he loved his kids, he worked hard to provide for his kids, and he disciplined his kids when necessary. My dad was there throughout all my growing up years, yet I'm unable to lay my hands on a photo of the two of us together. This makes me sad. It also makes me realise that time is running out - that dad won't always be around - and that now is the time to make the most of the relationship we do have. And to make sure that the next time we're together, someone has the camera!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I think people do make a bigger deal out of Mother's Day than Father'd Day. I'm not really sure why. My dad passed away back in 1992.
Daisy said…
A very happy fathers day to your dh Jules.
Liliana said…
It was on the radio once about how everyone makes a giant fuss over Mother's Day and on Father's Day dads are lucky to get a Father's Day greeting. It was a very funny show and I wish I could remember a single line from it but I can't! Yeah, it's not just you. I always expect a wonderful, special day for Mom's Day (and it always is) and we don't do much for Father's Day. My husband doesn't much care. He's not a giftie kind of man. I make him a nice dinner and he likes that. I think it sort of reflects the nature of fathers. Day to day they do what they're supposed to do (the good ones) and the imprint they leave is powerful and lasting. Come to think of it even the bad fathers leave a powerful and lasting impression. I'm grateful I have a good father and a great husband.