Changing the Rules

A colleague went in to have her mid-back-length hair trimmed and came out with a shaggy shoulder-length cut. Naturally she was upset. Sadly, stories like this are all too common for those with long hair.

However, the stylist told her something that I've never heard before. When cutting her hair he said: "Young women shouldn't have long hair. Long hair is for old women." What??? Those of us who are 'older' are often told that we shouldn't wear our hair long - that only young women can have long hair and get away with it.

What I want to know is who changed the rules when I wasn't looking?

I'm over forty (some would consider that old - I know my children do) and have long hair. 86cm to be exact. Or almost 34". (I've gained 3/4" this past month which is a record for me.)

It now seems that I'm 'allowed' to have long hair. Fancy that!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Interesting, I wonder when the rules were changed too. That stylist sounds like someone from the 1920's when women first started bobbing their hair. At that time the young had short hair and the older ladies kept theirs long.
Unknown said…
Wow, I have never heard THAT before! Usually it is the other way around! So would I be considered old enough to keep my hair long then, since I'm over 35 :)?
Daisy said…
Anything to drum up buisness Jules. If your colleague were old, I wonder if the rules would have been the opposite.