Christmas Mazurka

DH arrived home yesterday, lifted the tea towel covering the cooling rack, and started making appreciative noises. I'd made Christmas Mazurka - a recent addition to Christmas in our house, but one that has quickly become a favourite.

He asked why one was already cut into squares. I replied that I'd made it for gifts (it makes wonderful presents for neighbours and friends). Then he looked worried and wanted to know what we were going to eat. I'd made two and each one is meant to yield 80 pieces so I'm not sure how much he expected to eat!

I'll share the recipe but first I want to share some photos of other Christmas treats I made.

Son#2 had to take a plate of food to share at work so Son#4 and I made these 'Christmas Puddings' out of Chocolate biscuits with white chocolate icing and sweets:



They were quick and easy and lots of fun to make. And they look so impressive!

When it comes to gifts, I'm definitely gift-challenged. I never know what to give people, and colleagues are especially difficult, but this year I tried something different: a themed gift basket.

I took an inexpensive coffee mug and added some coffee sachets:



Then I made chocolate covered spoons by simply dipping the spoons in melted chocolate and placing on waxed paper to set (to use, stir into hot chocolate or coffee):



Add Christmas Mazurka:



Place in a pretty basket and add a few individually wrapped chocolates and mini marshmallows:



And the finished product:



I once made a Chocolate Fruit Cake for Christmas. It was delicious but a lot of work. This recipe for Mazurka is similar but takes a lot less effort (although chopping up the fruit and nuts does take time - but this can be done sitting down).

Christmas Mazurka

3/4 cup currants
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped dried figs
1/2 cup chopped glace pineapple (I use dried pineapple because I've never been able to find glace pineapple)
1/4 cup chopped mixed peel
3/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts (my American friends probably won't have any trouble finding hazelnuts but they're not always easy to buy here so I've used cashews or peanuts in the past and if I hadn't been able to get hazelnuts this time I was going to try using pistachio nuts)
1 cup Dark Chocolate Bits
1-1/4 cups flour
2 Tablespoons Baking Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup liquid honey
icing sugar

Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Line the base of a 30cm x 25cm x 2cm tin with baking paper. Grease paper lightly unless it's a non-stick paper.

Place dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate in a large bowl. Sift together the flour, cocoa and mixed spice and stir into the fruit mixture.

Combine the eggs and honey and add to the fruit mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Press evenly into the tin.

Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until the mixture is firm when pressed in the centre. Stand on a rack until cool. Turn out and remove paper and cut into small squares or triangles. Dust with icing sugar before serving if desired.

This recipe does not need to be refrigerated which makes it ideal for giving as gifts. However, you might find that you need to hide it from the chocolate and fruit lovers in your house!

Comments

April said…
Everything looks so nice Jules! You are very creative - and making gift baskets is one of my favorite presents to give and receive. The Mazurka looks wonderful and something I want to try. But I've not yet tried your fruit cake yet that is on my list! I've got two weeks vacation starting tomorrow so maybe I'll squeeze in both! :)
BellaMama said…
Looks so very YUMMY!! I really love the first sentence of the post!! I think it is true: the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach!!

Have a wonderful Christmastime with your family!!
Daisy said…
Oh my, oh my! Everything looks delcious! The baskets turned out wonderful, what nice gifts they will make!!
SchnauzerMom said…
The gift baskets looks so good! You did a great job with them. I think I might try the recipe in the near future.