It's Not the First, But ...

I'm not a big one for New Year's Resolutions (probably just as well because the New Year has been and gone weeks ago) but I do like to take stock at the beginning of the year and think about some goals. I found this wonderful post on setting goals by busymomof10 who kindly gave me permission to borrow the format.

It's based on this passage from Titus 2:3-5

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Busymomof10 breaks it down this way:

1. Relationship with God
2. Relationship with spouse
3. Relationship with children
4. Managing the home
5. Ministering to others
6. Personal growth

Relationship with God
I want to spend more time in prayer and Bible Study; become more practiced (I won't say comfortable because it probably won't be comfortable for a while) at praying aloud in groups; continue to read the Bible through chronologically every 18 months; and plan to memorise at least one Scripture passage every month.

Relationship with Spouse
We had such a lovely time together on our anniversary that it made me realise how important it is to spend time together as a couple. I also need to make an effort to be more loving, more patient, more considerate of him and his needs and to pray for him daily.

Relationship with Children
To pray for them each daily; to spend time with each of them and find out what they're really thinking and feeling; to continue to teach and train those under our roof (and even those that do not regularly reside there anymore if the opportunity arises); to support them, encourage them, love them, guide them, and be available; to be a godly example to my children and grandchildren.

Managing the Home
To stay on top of household chores; to put more effort into planning interesting, nutritious and inexpensive meals; to maintain a balance between home responsibilities, the responsibilities of part-time employment, and writing responsibilities; and, to attack some of those annual chores during the year rather than leaving them all unto Christmas time.

Ministering to Others
As God leads me in a direction that is totally new to me, I pray and hope that He will use me to minister to others and to bless them. I want others to see Christ's love through me. I want to explore more fully the gifts that He has given me and to use them for Him and Him alone. I want to bless the local Body of Christ through ministry in our church. I want to be an encourager; to practice hospitality; and to be gentle in all things.

Personal Growth
My goals include losing around 5 kilos (approximately 10 pounds) of weight; to exercise 5 times a week (and thank you so much to the friend that put me on to Walk At Home because now I can walk 3 miles - 4.8 kms - a day without leaving home!); to be a good friend; to continue to blog and write and email; to finish the quilts I'm working on and also knit Son#5 a jumper this winter (and perhaps myself one as well); and, drum roll please, to finally grow out some of my fringe (bangs) and for my hair to reach tailbone!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Great goals! The kind that help you grow as you work to accomplish them.
Daisy said…
Those are super goals to strive for!
Jules is the "walk at home" a video?
Unknown said…
Those are really great goals Jules! I have that Walk at Home program too. I did it for a long time (before I was able to use my elliptical machine), and it is a great program. I hope you accomplish all that you want to! You have a great list to start with.