I Can't Make It Better

The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World really has a way with her uncles. "Come on guys," she says when she wants them to do something (usually go outside and see our Border Collie). The other day when they didn't immediately do her bidding, she walked around behind them (they were sitting on the floor), threw her arms around their necks and said, "Please Uncle#4. Please Uncle#5." Now who could resist that?

Last week she visited me at work and told me "Oh I've missed you." At that moment she could've asked me for just about anything and I would've given it to her had it been in my power to do so.

When she looks up at me with her big dark eyes, my heart melts. Her daddy used to be able to use his eyes to effect too! And I suspect he still does since my lovely DIL claims The Most Adorable Granddaughter learnt from her daddy!

Sadly, such skills aren't going to get him what he wants now: work. Son#1 is down to working 4-day weeks. He has no work on and at this stage no possibility of work coming in. There was a time when people in his line of work were always assured of a job. But not any more. Many others in his trade have been laid off already. And many others are facing an uncertain future.

And it's expected to get worse. Much worse.

When my son was little I could dispel his fears, comfort his hurts, solve his problems. Not any more.

Yesterday The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World put her sunglasses on upside down. She took them off, turned them around, and put them on correctly. "That's better," she said.

I wish it could be that simple to make everything better for Son#1.

But it isn't.

I can't fix his problems.

But I can pray. It's at times like this that we are driven to pray - because on our own we are helpless. Perhaps that's why we need the hard times as well as the good times.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I'm sorry that your son is having job trouble. We definitely have to trust the Lord!!! Your grandaughter sounds adorable.