Sleep-Over

Tonight The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World gets to sleep over at our house. If there’s something guaranteed to bring the boys out of their rooms it’s the arrival of The Most Adorable Granddaughter! I wish I had half her appeal.

The Most Adorable Granddaughter’s Mummy and Daddy have gone out to celebrate their wedding anniversary. On the card that I gave them I wanted to include a quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer that had helped me as a young bride. Reading it I was once again struck by the picture of marriage it paints. In a world that has little understanding of marriage we can all learn from his insight:

Marriage is more than your love for each other. It has a higher power, for it is God's holy ordinance, through which he wills to perpetuate the human race until the end of time. In your love you see only your two selves in the world, but in marriage you are a link in the chain of the generations, which God causes to come and to pass away to his glory, and calls into his kingdom. In your love you see only the heaven of your own happiness, but in marriage you are placed at a post of responsibility towards the world and mankind. Your love is your own private possession, but marriage is more than something personal — it is a status, an office. Just as it is the crown, and not merely the will to rule, that makes the king, so it is marriage, and not merely your love for each other, that joins you together in the sight of God and man. ... so love comes from you, but marriage from above, from God. As high as God is above man, so high are the sanctity, the rights, and the promise of love. It is not your love that sustains the marriage, but from now on, the marriage that sustains your love.

God’s perfect plan for the family has been on my mind a lot lately. I would like to write more on the subject of marriage and raising godly children and personal purity but not tonight. No, tonight I need to bathe The Most Adorable Granddaughter, give her a bottle, read a few dozen stories, say prayers, and pop her in to bed. Can you tell that I am so loving this!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I hope you have a wonderful evening with your grandaughter!
Daisy said…
Awww sounds like your going to have a great night!! What a nice treat to get to have her sleep over. You're a good Mom and Grandma Jules!
Unknown said…
I hope you had a wonderful night with your granddaughter :). I remember how special it was to stay overnight at my grandparents when I was a kid. You are creating very special memories :)!