Being a Godly Wife

The second topic for the Titus 2 Blog Party is "Being a Godly Wife" (and I hope my regular readers enjoy these topics even if they've decided to give the party a miss - and my apologies for not being very good at sending out invites - I'm afraid I was a little late off the bat). We're instructed to list five things that we love about our husbands (and to tell him!) but before I do that I want to share a resource that has helped me grow as a wife (and please, please don't think I have it all together).

Several years ago when I was feeling a little blah about my marriage I picked up a wonderful study book called "Women Making a Difference in Marriage" by Lana Packer. It's designed to be used in a group situation but I used it in my own personal devotional time and found it ever so useful. When studying what the Word of God says and what our personal response should be there's no excuses. We're either obedient or we're not.

Surprisingly perhaps, the one thing that I found really eye-opening was realising fully for the first time that my husband is not meant to meet all my needs. Only God can do that. I knew that in my head my I had to learn it in my heart. And when I did, it let him off the hook! I no longer expected him to make me feel loved 110% of the time. I allowed him to be human, to make mistakes, and to be the person he was created to be rather than the person I wanted him to be. It changed my whole attitude toward marriage.

More recently I've been challenged as I've memorised 1 Corinthians 13: Do I love like that? I can honestly say that I don't. In fact, I don't even come close to it. And there have been times I've had to stop in the past few days and remind myself of what love is according to that passage. If you think that's hard, then remember what Jesus did for us. He showed love - incredible perfect love - when we were still His enemies. Think on that a minute then go out and love like that.

Okay, five things about my husband that I love:

One: He is my best friend. There's no one that I trust like I do him or can talk to the way I talk to him;

Two: He knows me inside and out and still loves me (incredible but true!);

Three: He is faithful and trustworthy. The only time he ever even looks at another woman is if she has gorgeous long hair (and now that mine's at tailbone he seems to confine all his looking to me);

Four: When he said "Until death do us part" he meant it;

Five: He works hard for us all, providing for our needs - not just materially but in so many other ways as well. One of the things that delights me now is to see him helping our grown son around his home (even if it means our bathroom doesn't get done).

If I had to describe him in a few words I would say: steady, dependable and true. That might not sound very exciting, but it is! When I look around at the failed marriages, the children shuffled between homes, I praise God for the godly husband He's given me. I ask for nothing more (well I wouldn't say no to a completed bathroom - but if I had to choose I know what I'd rather have and it's not the bathroom!).

Comments

Lainie said…
This is so lovely. Sounds like a wonderful man!
Daisy said…
That was a really well written post! I think as the years go on in a marriage, we mature and grow and realize that we can't change one another and as you say Jules, we can't meet each and every need. The quicker this is learned the more peace there will be.
Unknown said…
I haven't had time to join the blog party. It sounded like fun, but I haven't been spending much time on the computer lately. I loved your 5 things you love about your hubby. It sounds like you have a great one :). Like you wrote about your hubby, my hubby is also my best friend. We are really blessed aren't we?!
Thanks for visiting my site. I will continue to read and get to know you. I love your long hair. It is very much like my sisters.

God bless!
Anonymous said…
Thank you Jules for visiting my Blog!! It has been a joy to see the hearts women have for the Lord, their husbands and then today children!! There are still wonderful men and marriages in a fallen world which gets crazier everyday here in the US with this new President. Fellow believers are going to be the encouragement in these tough days here in the US!
Deanna said…
Dear Jules,
Hello from Blogland.
Thank you for stopping by at my site during this week's Titus 2 Blog Party and leaving a kind comment. I was delighted that you had visited.
I have had a great deal of fun participating in this party.
Houses may come and houses may go, but our rest should be in the Lord...still learning at my old age!
Best wishes to you and your family.
From a previous posting of your hair, it's beautiful.
Hope you'll stop by my blog again sometime.
God richly bless you.
Deanna from the Kansas Flinthills
SchnauzerMom said…
Your Dh sounds like a very Godly man.
Anonymous said…
Jules, you wrote: "the one thing that I found really eye-opening was realising fully for the first time that my husband is not meant to meet all my needs." I can totally relate to that! THank you for visiting my site, I plan to visit here again soon!