Marching On

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:5-8, KJV).

After struggling to learn a long passage last month, I chose a shorter passage to memorise for March. I used to think that this passage was a kind of list that I had to work through to become a better Christian. And I struggled to get past the first one! There was a time when I would long for the day when I could get past the first few virtues and add patience to my character. Well I've since learnt that the easiest way to gain patience is to have all the kids leave home!

This passage is particularly pertinent to me tonight. I'm ashamed to admit it but DH and I had a little argument coming home from Bible Study. No, that's not quite true. I had an argument - or more correctly, I was not in a good mood and I tried to pick a fight. I started thinking of all the things I could drag up and accuse him with to make my case stronger, and then I stopped and thought of these verses. Was I adding virtue to my faith? Or temperance? How about patience? Or godliness? Was I showing brotherly kindness? Or charity (which is just an old way of saying love)?

I had to bite my tongue and walk away (and sadly that's not something I do very often). I think too that I may need to go and practice some more of those virtues and humbly apologise. Before the sun goes down any further!

Comments

Mary said…
I like to watch patient people (or people with other admirable virtues) and see what they do and how they act, and then try to act like they do in various situations.

My younger son is an EXTREMELY patient person. I don't know where he gets it from -- not from myself OR my husband. You can't teach something you don't have! I find myself learning from him, as he never gets angry or ruffled at little inconsequential things, and easily rolls with the punches.

We can learn virtues from others (Especially from Jesus!).
SchnauzerMom said…
That's the great thing about memorizing scripture, when you need it, it comes to you. Apologizing is a hard but important thing to do.
That's a great verse to memorize!