Motherhood

Today's blog party is on motherhood. This is something that is dear to my heart - after all, I am a mother and I consider it the most worthwhile career I could ever have.

I was blessed that when our first son was born I was able to stay home and care for him full-time. Not until all five of my children were at school did I return to the workforce. Only then did I return to study, gained a three-year diploma of teaching in early childhood, followed by a Bachelor of Teaching and Learning, and employment in a Christian centre.

I work with babies and toddlers and while I love working with this age group, I struggle because I truly believe that these children should be at home with their mothers. However I realise that there are reasons (some valid and some not so valid) why this isn't always possible and I know that many of these children would be in care whether I cared for them or not, so at least where they are they are loved and prayed over. But it is something that I really do have trouble reconciling - my job (and supposedly professional philosophy) with my own personal philosophy.

However, back to the topic at hand.

My husband and I have been blessed with five wonderful sons, ranging in age from 24 years down to 15 years. I mentioned them in my intro post so I won't repeat myself again.

I loved being at home with my children when they were little and given half a chance, would do it all over again. I wouldn't be honest though if I didn't say that there were times when it was frustrating. Children can makes messes - lots of them - and for someone who likes to be organised and tidy this did create some tension at times. Sadly it took me a long time to learn to ignore the housework and enjoy my children more (I'm still learning - that's one of the wonderful things about being a grandparent - you can forget about things like housework and just enjoy them because you've learnt how quickly time goes and what is really important).

I also found that being at home with my children was very lonely. My husband worked long hours, my mother worked, my friends all worked, and because I was shy and introverted, I was not able to go out and easily make new friends. There were times when I so longed for another adult to talk to. This was before the days of the world wide web and having friends at the touch of a computer key!

Now that my children are older, I'm slowly coming to terms with the nest slowly emptying (although one son did return home after four years away!). On the one hand I'm proud of them and the way they are making their mark in the world; on the other hand I miss them terribly. I just love it when they all come home and the whole family is together again. These are precious times and I plan to make the most of them.

What do I really love about being a mother?

Sloppy kisses;

Handwritten notes from my child (I've kept all of them!);

The funny sayings (like the time my child about 5 years of age said, "Oh I love you Mummy," and just as I was feeling a warm glow, he added, "Of course we have to love everyone." Instant deflation!);

A child's hand in mine;

Late night talks (can anyone explain to me why teenage and adult children when they want to talk it always has to be when my body wants to sleep?);

Family times together;

Recapping family memories (and learning what my children really got up to when I thought they were behaving!);

Most precious of all: seeing them place their faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and seeking to follow Him;

Cuddles (yes I still get a few even though my sons all consider themselves grown);

Seeing so much of my son reflected in The Most Adorable Granddaughter - looks, mannerisms everything;

My children!

Comments

java girl said…
Jules,

Your post is lovely. I love being organized and managing my time. Why is it so hard to turnthat off?? Someday's I do really well at just putting the todo's aside and playing with my little girl. And then someday's I can only focus on how many todo's I actually have!! Well your post and the very warm sunshine we are having today have prompted me to make a huge not for my desk at work, my evening TODO list.....GO SWING AT THE PARK AND PLAY IN OUR SANDBOX AT HOME!!

Just that thought makes me feel happy. (so much more fun than cleaning the toilet and dusting, which is my todo on my planner for tonight!!)

I just have to add two more things... My favorites as a momma from my daughter.... when she tells me in the evenings "I missed you sooo much momma" and when she asks us to "pray" and then we pray and she asks us to "pray again"... Oh and when she was smaller and she would have a little cold and her nose would make snot bubbles (only a momma could love that, and I do!).

Have a blessed day!
SchnauzerMom said…
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that all your sons know the Lord.
Those are WONDERFUL things about motherhood!
Unknown said…
That was such a wonderful list of why you love being a mother! How sweet! You sound like you are a wonderful one Jules :).