An Unusual Interest?

It seems that my comment that it was long hair that catapulted me into the blogging world has generated some interest amongst recent visitors to my blog. So I've decided that an explanation (and perhaps some advertising) is in order.

Almost three years ago I joined a long hair board. This is not a site for those with weird leanings but rather a source of encouragement and information for those wanting to grow their hair long. Healthy long hair isn't simply a matter of never cutting. There are a number of such forums online but the one that I prefer above all others is The Long Hair Loom. The owner is a lovely Christian lady and this is evident I think for all that visit her board. She works hard at ensuring no nastiness or inappropriate talk arises so if you or your daughters are interested in long hair this is a very safe place (there, that was my 'plug' for my friend Fox who owns 'The Loom').

One of the things I noticed about many of the ladies who had long hair was that they kept hair journals detailing progress, treatments, what worked and what didn't, routines, styles, and a host of other hair-related topics. I decided that I needed a place to keep all this info together and decided to start an online journal. This blog is actually my third journal. The first one I lost when the site that hosted it went down; the second one I deleted when questionable advertisements started appearing on the page. I actually resisted the idea of a blog in a format like this for many reasons but one of those reasons was that I thought I would have nothing to talk about but hair and I didn't see how a blog dedicated just to hair would be all that interesting. My first two journals were almost exclusively hair related. This one however records many facets of my life where hair is just one small facet of that life.

Long hair is just something I love: on me and seeing it on other women. It's also something my husband loves which has been enough motivation for me to keep it long when it's driving me crazy!

I don't believe that it's the covering talked about in 1 Corinthians 11 (although I have friends that do believe that and I respect them for it) and I don't believe that there's anything wrong at all in a woman cutting her hair. In fact I admire many short styles. But for now, my DH and I prefer for me to have my hair long. I wrote this post which describes some of my reflections on having long hair.

And for those that asked how long my hair is: it's currently at 35" (pretty much tailbone on my short frame) with a U-shaped hemline and some light layers (and if this is news to my my long hair friends it's because I only cut the layers in last week and I'm loving them) and a fringe (bangs) that I have a love-hate relationship with. This photo is probably almost 12 months old (need to update soon) but it will give you an idea:

Comments

MicheleStitches said…
Well, we are most definitely no longer "hair twins!" Yours has gotten so long and lovely! Remember me? I saw you listed in Liliana's followers and I just thought I would drop by and say "Hello, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth!" ;-D
Unknown said…
I can't wait to see an updated picture of your layers! Are you having any trouble with updos since you layered? This has been my only reason for not layering so far. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do my favorite updos if I had layers. So please give details and pictures so we can see :)!!
Jules said…
BusyHSMom, of course I remember you. I've noticed that you've started blogging again. Good! I used to enjoy your blog so much.

Jen, the layers are very very slight. I don't notice them when I do most updos although yesterday when I tried to do a braided Chinese bun, one of the strands finished way before the others. What the layers have done for me is given me back my curl. I'll get a photo soon. I promise.
SchnauzerMom said…
I'm looking forward to an updated photo. Your hair sounds lovely. I'm glad you're happy with the layers.
Linda said…
Mine is 26". I am having reading your posts. Thank you so much for the award. Our daylight saving hasn't changed over yet, so it is nearly 11. I hope to get to read more tomorrow.