What Am I Seeing?

I learnt today that some things are better done in private. Especially things that will destroy any illusions others might have of my possessing any form of feminine beauty.

This afternoon I decided to give my hair a henna treatment (I know, I know, I talked about letting those silvers shine through, but after two months, I'd already had enough of them and wanted them gone - well if not gone, at least not so obvious). In the past I've always done this when I had the house to myself, but recently that occurrence has become extremely rare.

I glooped the henna on, covered with a plastic cap, then put a particularly alluring (not!) heat cap over the top. This cap is made out of black towelling fabric and has a pocket into which is slipped something that looks very similar to those wheat bags that you heat up in the microwave. In fact, it is heated up in the microwave before going into the cap.

There I was with this thing on my head when DH arrived home. He made some comment on my stylish hat, as did my sons, but overall the comments weren't too bad. I could live with them.

Just as I was thinking that it was time to go and rinse out the goop, Son#1 and his family arrived. Son#1 made some smart comment while DIL was a little kinder and kept her opinions to herself.

But worse was to come.

The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World danced into the room and stopped dead. She had on a pair of child's dark sunglasses, but even without seeing her eyes I knew that she was wondering what on earth had happened to her Nana. Slowly she lowered the glasses to the end of her nose to get a better look.

It was obvious that she didn't like what she saw.

By this time the heat cap was giving me a headache so I went down to the bathroom to remove it. The Most Adorable Granddaughter followed and watched from a distance but even without the heat cap she wasn't going to have anything to do with this strange person who wandered around with muck in her hair and what looked like plastic wrap!

I've since rinsed all the henna out of my hair and am just waiting for it to dry, but The Most Adorable Granddaughter has gone home and has no way of knowing that her beloved Nana has returned to normal (well normal for me). And the saddest part? I didn't even get a cuddle.

Comments

Deb said…
Hi friend!
Just wanted to let you know I've given you an award!
Blessings!!
Deb
Mary said…
That's cute! Let us know how it came out. I used to color my hair for about 10 years, which was fun, but had to let it go grey when the thyroid medication the doctor put me on made my hair grow "a mile a minite" and I had to color it every two weeks to keep up with it! I finally gave up, because I didn't want the expense of coloring so often, or the time it took, and it didn't seem healthful to color so often. I love the grey hair now, but it took a long time to grow out (I was finally able to stop the thyroid medication and my hair growth went back to normal, but I like the grey now). Henna is natural, so that would be great!

My family hates it when I use a clay masque!!!
Sharon said…
I'm always telling myself that I'm not going to dye my hair anymore, this is the last time. After awhile I cave in and do it again. I normally have really dark hair(used to) and I'm not used to how pale it makes me look. So I know what you're going through.
SchnauzerMom said…
Awww I'm sorry you didn't get to cuddle.