One More Pearl

When Anne of Green Gables became engaged to Gilbert she chose a pearl for her betrothal ring. I didn't choose a pearl engagement ring, but I do love pearls. My husband gave me a stand of pearls for my thirtieth birthday and I wore them to Son#1's wedding (you can just see them in the photo). No doubt I will also wear them to Son#2's upcoming wedding - and probably the weddings of each of my sons.

However, last week, my husband also gave me another pearl. This time a Pearl Flute. Considering I still squeak at times and according to Son#2 am either flat or sharp most of the time (I'm convinced I sound much better when I play alone than when he brings out his violin and we attempt to make music - please spare a thought for the neighbours) this shows a lot of confidence in my ability that I'm not convinced is justified. Either that or he loves me very very much (possibly a bit of each).



The story of how this flute finally ended up in my possession is a story of God's provision. It's a long story but I think it's worth telling as I think it's important to remember how God cares for us and provides for all our needs - and not just the basic ones.

When DH mentioned that he wanted to buy me a flute I embarked on a search for the right flute at the right price. Contrary to what Son#4 says, a flute is more than just a tube of metal that you blow into! Eventually I found a brand new flute online and ordered it. Even with the exchange rate and shipping costs we thought it was a good deal.

I eagerly looked forward to receiving it. In the meantime I received a catalogue from a New Zealand music shop and the same flute was on special and cost less than what I'd paid online. I was a little disappointed that I hadn't waited a few days but decided not to dwell on it. And I burnt the catalogue.

Impatiently I continued to wait for the flute to arrive.

And then I received an email from the store I'd bought the flute from saying that they thought they'd sent me the wrong flute and suggesting that I contact them when the flute arrived to arrange returning it and getting a replacement flute.

I was going to have to wait longer for my flute to arrive. I was disappointed. But that wasn't the end of it.

A few days later I had a letter from Customs saying that they were holding my flute until I paid customs tax which was a substantial amount. By now any savings I'd made from buying overseas were very quickly disappearing and I certainly wasn't keen to pay the customs tax on a flute that I was going to have to turn around and send back. I rang Customs and explained the situation and they agreed to return the flute to the shop instead of releasing it to me and said they would invoice the sender for shipping. Relief!

I contacted the shop that I'd bought the flute from, explained what was happening, and cancelled the order. They promised that as soon as they received the flute that they'd refund my money.

But now I had no flute at all. I then contacted the NZ shop, ordered the flute that I wanted which was still on sale, and the next day I had it in my hands! Freight free. And if it needs servicing it will be cheaper to courier it to them than having to send it overseas.

Even though at first I was upset that I'd been sent the wrong flute it actually all worked out in my favour because I ended up buying the flute 'locally' and saving several hundred dollars on the purchase price. A flute might seem like a luxury (even though I took it up with the intention of being able to play in church one day) but I now feel that God is blessing this aspect of my life and I feel so grateful and humble for the way He has provided.

Am I happy with the flute? Absolutely. Despite my amateurish attempts at playing I can hear the difference. There is a deeper and richer lower register, the notes are in tune with each other, and overall it just sounds better. I just hope that it won't be too long before I can hear the difference in my playing and not just in the flute (every one tells me it just takes practice - well I'm certainly doing lots of that).

Comments

Noel said…
Oh Congrats on the flute! I'll have to file the name "pearl" away in my memory in case my daughter ever needs a really good flute. Wish I could hear you play!
BellaMama said…
Being a violinist, I truly admire brass/wind players! I've learned over the years that it is much more difficult than it looks! You may be flat or sharp depending on how you tuned (length of flute) rather than actually being so by playing (though I know it's possibly, just less likely). To say you sound out of tune is like saying a violinist is out of tune because the strings are not tuned perfectly or the fingering is off-fancy that, fingering that is off!! Once in tune, playing with a flute actually betters a violinist rather than the other way around! Maybe it's time for a new set of strings or maybe a bit of vibrato to hide his own or even another's mistake!

Just some thoughts from another string player!

Enjoy being able to play with others, it is a blessing to praise the Lord together!! Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! :)
SchnauzerMom said…
Isn't it wonderful how God works in our lives? Congratulations on the beautiful flute!
busymomof10 said…
God's ways are not our ways, and he works in mysterious ways, even transforming mistakes into something good! Congratulations on your new flute! My oldest daughter used to play the flute, then her love for the piano overshadowed the flute. I have not heard her play flute in a few years, and I suddenly realize that I miss it.
Unknown said…
What a neat story of the goodness of God! I love hearing stories like that. Congratulations on the beautiful flute!
Jules said…
Hi Noel, when purchasing flutes in the intermediate range it seems that you can't go wrong with Pearl, Yamaha or Jupiter. However since you're in the States you might also want to consider Armstrong, Artley, Selmer, and Haynes and Powell. I believe some of them are quite good but not readily available here.

BellaMama, thanks for your comments. I've heard about 'bending' the notes to be in tune but I'm certainly not able to do that yet. I think once Son#2 and I both improve some we'll enjoy playing together more. We also take it in turns playing the piano ('first' instrument for both of us) so that the other can play their 'second' instrument to the piano. Sounds better that way too because the piano fills in a lot of the blanks and covers a multitude of errors.

SM, Jen and Elizabeth, just waiting for my refund now and then I'll be happy. It is awesome how God worked it all out.