Queen's Birthday Weekend

This weekend is a long weekend and it couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I was at a Conference last Saturday and as a result have been tired all week. There were days I really didn’t want to get out of bed and had to drag myself to work and fake energy that I didn’t have. All week I’ve forced myself to do what needed to be done so three days to catch-up and to spend some time relaxing is just what I need.

Yesterday we looked after The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World to give her daddy a chance to study and her mummy a chance to rest. With just two weeks to her due date DIL#1 is very uncomfortable and tired.

I’ve seen a fridge magnet that says that grandchildren are the reward for not killing your own children! I think a lot of parents have times when they are just about ready to choke their kids. Well don’t despair. Grandchildren are a wonderful way of making up for all those times and also reminding your now grown children of all that they put you through!

We took The Most Adorable Granddaughter shopping. DIL#1 had asked us to exchange some mittens that she’d bought for The Most Adorable Granddaughter the day before that were already coming unravelled. As we waited for the lady to do the exchange, The Most Adorable Granddaughter piped up, “Get me new gloves with no holes?” I assured her that we were and had a quiet laugh to myself that she was making sure that no one tried to palm off a no-good pair to her!

Years ago when Son#1 was little I would do my grocery shopping with my Mum and Nana. One of them would usually take Son#1 in their shopping trolley (cart) and I would have peace and quiet and NO QUESTIONS for almost an hour as I went around the aisles. But yesterday I didn’t get to enjoy The Most Adorable Granddaughter’s chatter because DH took her in his trolley (it’s three weeks since we went grocery shopping and we needed two trolleys!). It seems to be the law with grandparents that what used to drive us crazy with our own kids the same thing now delights us with our grandchildren.

As I was waiting for DH to pay for our groceries I offered The Most Adorable Granddaughter a piece of white chocolate. She took it and looked at it suspiciously.

"What's that?" she asked.

I told her it was chocolate but she didn't seem convinced. She did however try it. I then told her it was white chocolate.

"Oh," she said with ever so much emphasis on that one word.

When we arrived home DH told her that Uncle#4 and Uncle#5 could have some chocolate after they'd unloaded the groceries from the car.

She marched inside and told them, “Boys, get the groceries.” (She often calls them “Boys” when she wants them to do something for her – it’s so cute.)

Uncle#4 had a guitar in his hands and she was most indignant. "No. Get the groceries in. Then have chocolate."

Uncle#4 looked at what she held in her hand and told her it wasn't chocolate.

"Yes it is," she replied.

"Chocolate is brown," he teased.

"This is WHITE chocolate," she told him.

I have to say that she made a great overseer. The uncles didn’t get any chocolate until they’d finished their job!

After lunch (pizza that she helped DH make) she had a sleep then helped me do some baking. She just loves to roll the dough into little balls and place them on the trays - usually all in just one tiny corner of the trays and I have to discreetly move them when she's busy rolling the next ball. I remember when my children were little it seemed such a hassle to have them help but yesterday I actually waited for The Most Adorable Granddaughter to wake up so that she could be involved. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those early days with my own children and change a lot of what happened. Many times I let them help with tasks but often, for me, there was a level of frustration hovering beneath the surface (we all know that it’s quicker if we do it ourselves but our children don’t learn anything that way) whereas now it’s just pure delight.

And I plan to always enjoy doing whatever I can with The Most Adorable Granddaughter especially now that a time could be soon coming when she won’t be living so close to us. Son#1 has been offered another job that requires that he move his little family and I think he will probably accept. We’re happy for him but we sure are going to miss them all. There is sure to be at least one good thing though: more excuses to have The Most Adorable Granddaughter stay overnight!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Sounds like you had a wonderful time with her. She is precious.
busymomof10 said…
I loved reading about your special time with your adorable grand daughter! It sounded so much fun and makes me look forward to the day . . .
java girl said…
Jules,

This story is sweet and another reminder to relax and enjoy my toddler being just that!

Blessings to you...