Friends that Complement

(It's not a spelling mistake.)

Gone are the days when a traditional publisher would do all the marketing. Unless you're a "big name", the author is now expected to get out there and promote their book.

No problem.

Unless you're like me and the thought of selling anything let alone yourself and the book you have poured heart and soul into sends you into a panic.

Announcing that I was to become a published author on this blog was difficult enough. And I've only just announced it on the forums I frequent. I hate "blowing my own trumpet". Colleagues I work with don't yet know. People I attend church with don't yet know. There are even members of my family that don't yet know.

So how is someone like me meant to sell herself?

Enter two friends that God has blessed me with.

Friend#1 rang her local bookstore weeks ago to order a copy of my book. When she told me, I laughed and said that they would never have even heard of me. They hadn't. But so determined is she to have the first book that hits the shelves that she's already hassling the bookstores and putting her name down for a copy.

She has a photo of me up in her classroom (I'm not pleased about that), has told me that she's going to try to get my book on the compulsory reading list at her school, and is running around telling all her friends to buy my book.

What I find incredibly funny - and encouraging - is that apart from the occasional letter, email and txt message, she has never read anything that I've written. How wonderful it is to be blessed with friends who have faith in you like that!

Friend#2 is one of the few friends who knew I was writing a book. She encouraged me and told me never to give up and was convinced that I would one day be published even though, like Friend#1, she'd never read anything I'd written apart from observations on the children at work!

Yesterday she contacted me and suggested a book launch at our local Christian bookshop. It seems she knows the owner and is quite keen to organise this for me. The concept leaves me with trembling knees and shaking hands but I suspect it will be a good starting point.

I'd love to just retreat into a hole and forget about this whole marketing business. But I suspect that it's not going to happen. There are some things that I think I can do, but for all the other things, God has blessed me with wonderful friends whose strengths complement my weaknesses. These are just two such friends. There are many more and for all of you I am extremely thankful.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I'm glad that you have such good friends who can help you!
java girl said…
Jules,

Thank you for your comment today. I need all the cheer I can get. Work has been very difficult and I'm trying really hard to get my chin up. I feel like I'm at this huge crossroads in life and I know the direction I'm suppose to go. BUT I have to wait, I'm not good at waiting. I'm rather flustered about the whole thing of waiting. So I question a lot of things instead of trusting.

I truly thank you for the words you wrote in your comment. And I value what you are saying. I know I wouldn't want anyone other than myself or my mom watching my daughter right now or ever.

thank you again!
Anonymous said…
My Dear Friend,
My faith in you is only measured by the friendship and trust we have shared. My prayer is that you will know your success comes from your faith in the Father and yourself. You are already the most successful person I know. God Bless from riend #1