Backs, Skirts and Vests

I hurt my back.

As a child, I could do anything and my back would just keep on doing what it was meant to do. I’ve noticed though that as I’ve gotten older I’ve had to treat my back with special care. Gone are the days when I could lie for hours on my stomach and read a book. A few minutes in that position and I have to just about get help to get the kinks out of my back and a crane to lift me up off the floor.

I’m sure it was the vacuuming that did it this time, although now that I think about it, my back wasn't that great last week either. But on Friday night I was whizzing around with the vacuum cleaner getting the house clean for the weekend when I suddenly realised I’d done too much. A good night’s sleep I thought would cure it and certainly when I woke Saturday morning I felt better.

I spent most of Saturday morning at the sewing machine. I had made myself a wraparound skirt about a year ago but wasn’t happy with the fit of it. I then found this free pattern online and decided to give it a go minus the pocket. I thought that with the darts it would make the skirt look less like a sheet wrapped around my middle and more like a … well more like a skirt.

I’m happy with the way it turned out.

I also decided to cut the sleeves off this jacket and turn it into a vest. I liked this jacket but I hardly every wore it as I have another jacket in a similar colour that I prefer. So it was off with the sleeves! Since there was already stitching around the armholes it was just a matter of leaving about 1.5cm of fabric and turning under a hem and stitching it to the armhole seam on the wrong side of the jacket. It was scary making that first cut with the scissors but it paid off. I’m wearing my ‘new’ vest right now. Sorry but the photos aren't great. (And I'm not scowling in that photo but looking into the sun. I guess I should have found a better photo).

Last night I did a honey and yoghurt treatment in my hair. Usually honey makes my hair soft - and it has as well as super shiny - but today my hair has also been tangling more and I think it's because I didn't get the honey rinsed out properly. Oh well. A little bit of oil on the ends tonight before bed and it should be right as rain in the morning.

And talking of bed, I just hope my back lets me sleep tonight.

Comments

Mary said…
Great ideas! I'll have to try to make a vest now. Your hair looks lovely, too.
Honey applied to hair? I’ve never heard of that before. Hm… That sounds scary. :O

I just wanted to stop by and tell you I’m running a contest through my blog. :) The official link is: www.emilyannbenedictcontest.blogspot.com
I hope you can join up. It’s a good contest for book lovers. ;)
Btw, I really like the cover of your book. Did you get to help in the design process?
SchnauzerMom said…
I hope your back feel better soon.
Jules said…
Thanks all. My back is improving ever so slowly.

Emily Ann Benedict, I did get to have some input into the design process for my book cover which I was pleased about. In the end I had 5 designs to choose from and this is the one I chose. I think it conveys a lot of the themes running through my book. I'll be checking out your content. Thanks for posting the link.