Damage

It rained last night.

(Lots.)

And the wind was fierce.

(It still is.)

Therefore my daffodils don't look at all like the photo above. Instead they're looking sad and dejected and very much bent over.

And that's not all. The blossom from my plum trees is now on the ground. There is some left on the trees - hopefully enough to yield a good harvest of fruit come summer - but not much. I won't hold my breath.

I gave The Most Adorable Granddaughter a daffodil to take to Kindy the other day. By the time we got there, the head of the daffodil was bent over and it looked as if the stem had been twisted many times over. It looked quite sad. (Much like its siblings in my garden right now.) But she was proud of it and happily handed it to her teachers who very graciously received it.

We also have a broken window. But we can't blame that on the storm. No, the blame lies at the feet of Son#5 who was playing hockey outside with his brothers and hit the ball too hard.

I wonder, how many broken windows have we had over the years? Son#4 put his hand through one when running and slipped; Son#1 also put his hand through a window when he pushed on it to open it. Son#2 was studying at his desk when a water bomb suddenly came through a window and splattered glass and water everywhere. And then there have been all the balls that have gone through windows.

Either I lived a very sheltered existence when I was growing up or it's something that is more likely in the male species because I can never remember breaking a window as a child or of seeing someone else break one. Hmmmmmmm.

Comments

Daisy said…
Once when us kids were growing up we put a ball through the garage window. Other then that, I can't remember any other windows being broken! Hopefully ours stay all intact!!!
Noel said…
A few weeks ago you were talking about how winter was coming, do you have the 3 month winters we do here in North America?? It sounds like spring is there :)
SchnauzerMom said…
I think breaking windows is a guy thing. Your poor flowers, maybe they will recover.
Jules said…
Last night at the dinner table our sons were talking about all the windows they've broken over the years. I couldn't believe how many there were (nor some of the history behind the damage that we didn't know about at the time - such as the sheer size of the water bomb that went through a window). I'd forgotten too about the one they'd broken at school when they'd thrown a pencil and it had missed and caused a window to break. I thought windows were meant to be made out of safety glass these days.

Noel, winter is 3 months here. It officially begins July 1 and ends August 31. Spring commences September 1 - I can hardly wait!
busymomof10 said…
I had one sister growing up -- and I don't remember us breaking any windows. Our six boys have broken LOTS of things -- but not a window. Yet.

Feels strange for you to be welcoming spring, while we look forward to fall. Enjoy the fresh beauty of spring and newness of life. It always reminds me of the newness of life we have in Christ!