My Cake and Eat It Too


I've just pulled a slice out of the oven that was loosely based on this recipe from Daisy. I love it because there's no added sugar and it uses lots of healthy ingredients such as rolled oats, olive oil, and dried fruits. Tonight I used a mixture of chopped apricots, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds in place of the dates. Rather than making individual biscuits I just bake it all in a slab tin for about 40 minutes and then cut it when it's cool. My family haven't tried it yet because it's 'healthy' and I have no intention of telling them just how yummy it is. Let them eat their mud cake: I'll stick to my healthy slice thank-you very much!

Life has been busy, busy, busy. I'd forgotten how bone-wearying the days could be with little ones constantly around. Yes, I work with babies and toddlers but at the end of the day I go home and get a good night's sleep. I still get a reasonably good night's sleep but there's no 'shutting off' once I get home any more.

But it's all delightful. And it's only for a season. I have a sneaking suspicion (actually it's more than a suspicion but rather a conviction) that I'm going to miss the busyness and the little feet and the chatter when Son#1 and his family return to their own home.

In the mean time, I'm going to make the most of every minute.

I will sing of mercy and justice;
To You, O LORD, I will sing praises.

I will behave wisely in a perfect way.
Oh, when will You come to me?
I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;
I hate the work of those who fall away;
It shall not cling to me.

(Psalm 101: 1-3, NJKV)

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
The cake sounds really good!
Daisy said…
Hi ya Jules! How did it turn out? Your substitions sound good! I've been so busy lately I have been neglecting my blog and everything. In September that will change though.