Cranberry and Choc Chip Muesli Slice


I think it was Elizabeth who said that a recipe post was 'safe'. It's not controversial, you're not exposing your most vulnerable side, and since I somehow deleted some particularly gorgeous photos of yours truly with the granddaughters (you'll have to take my word for it) I can't do my original post. Besides, it can be fun to share recipes with friends.

I adapted this recipe to come up with a yummy nutritious slice that is perfect for snack time. It can be easily doubled and keeps well in an airtight container. My DIL#1 liked the original recipe but the rest of us thought it was a little bland - hence the reason for adjusting it. I like anything with dried cranberries (craisins we call them) but you could substitute whatever dried fruit you have on hand. I think walnuts or pecans would also work quite well in this recipe.

My recipe:
2-1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup desiccated coconut (optional - you can use all, some, or omit it altogether)
1 cup dark choc bits (you could use milk choc but I like dark choc and I don't like the really tiny chips - you just don't get the taste the same way)
2/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup olive oil (I use the extra virgin cold pressed olive oil)
1/3 cup milk (I use skim milk)
1 egg
Dried cranberries, diced dried apricots, slivered almonds (I don't have exact measurements but approximately 50g cranberries, 100g apricots, 60g almonds).

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm (base) slab pan and line with baking paper.

Combine oats, coconut if using, choc bits, fruit and sugar in a large bowl. Sift flour and baking powder and cinnamon together over the oat mixture.

Whisk oil, milk and egg together. Add to oat mixture. Stir until well combined.

Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Using the back of a spoon, press mixture into pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until light golden and set. Stand slice in pan for 15 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack. Allow to cool. Cut into pieces.

Serve and enjoy.

Comments

busymomof10 said…
I loved your "safe" post! Yes, it was me that said that one time! :)

This recipe sounds delicious and I'm definitely going to make it! As soon as I pick up some Craisins.

What is dessicated coconut?

180 C -- is that about 350 F??? I haven't a clue! :)

I'm wondering about substituting some whole wheat flour for the white flour to make it even healthier.

Can't wait to try these!

Have a blessed day my dear bloggy friend!
SchnauzerMom said…
Oooo that looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Jules said…
Hi Elizabeth, yes I think you could use whole wheat flour. You might want to double the rising agent though (the baking powder). I think that's the general rule when substituting whole wheat flour for white. I usually try to sneak whole wheat flour into my recipes where it won't be noticeable but this recipe must have slipped through somehow.

Desiccated coconut is just like finely ground coconut. We get desiccated or shredded. Shredded is not as finely grated. I left it out the first time and didn't miss it at all. I don't know if it adds anything to the taste.

And I think you've got the conversion right for the temperature.

You could use ordinary raisins in place of the craisins. I have a son that hates cooked raisins which is why I don't use them.

Hope it works out for you. I have to warn you though that it's rather more-ish! I doubled the recipe when I made it last week and it's all gone already. :(
busymomof10 said…
Check out what Amy Ellen did to "our" recipe! :)

http://healthbeginswithmom.blogspot.com/2009/10/great-granola-bar-challenge-recipe-at.html