Labour Day

It's a long weekend, the sun is shining ... and there's so much I want to cram into this one day.

Traditionally, in New Zealand at least (so I learnt a few years ago), Labour Weekend is the time to plant tomatoes. Yesterday DH and I took a long walk and picked up a few tomato seedlings from the shop, which I'm hoping will get into the garden some time today. Every year we say we won't bother with a vegetable garden, and every spring we fall under her spell and succumb. We also picked up some chilli plants. DH loves chilli and the rest of us have learnt to tolerate it, even The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 (whom I'm still missing by the way - both her and her sister).

Currently DH is around at Son#1 and DIL#1's home helping Son#1 paint so that their house can go on the market. Before going there DH took Son#3 shopping for shoes (brave man and wise me for staying home). Son#3 has been looking at running shoes for a while and hasn't been able to make up his mind (due largely I'm sure to the cost of said items) and so we decided to buy him some for his birthday. (He found a pair.)

And since it's Son#3's birthday tomorrow (much to his disgust since he should really be studying hard for upcoming exams and who wants to study on their birthday) after making my favourite slice today I then went on to make two mud cakes to help us celebrate the occasion.

I just hope they turn out. Between trying to hang out the washing and answering questions from Son#3 who was doing something with my email inbox, whilst all the while mixing up the cakes, it came time to turn them into the tins and the mixture looked very runny. It's usually runny, but not as runny as it was today. I checked my math since I'd doubled the recipe and was sure I'd left nothing out but still it was runny. In the end I threw some more flour in and hoped for the best.

The taste test will confirm whether I was right or wrong. Thankfully, my sons will eat just about anything (they've had lots of practice with my cooking).

In a short while, Son#4 should return from the shop where he's gone to buy potting mix. When he does, we'll put into pots a whole lot of tiny lavenders and other seedlings that are coming up in my garden. Perhaps one day these plants will be in the garden of Son#2 and DIL#2's home - if I don't manage to kill them first. Many of these plants grew from seedlings my FIL gave me when we moved into our home and which were from plants in his garden.

When all that's done, hopefully there'll be time to practice the flute before having to get the washing back in, fold it up, and then put dinner on. And after dinner perhaps I can do some quilting. After all, I have a deadline to meet!

(Son#4 has just returned. He bought garden food instead of potting mix. He's gone out again. I wonder if this was just a ploy to get the car for longer! lol)

Comments