Beauty Goes Green


(Or into the garden and kitchen).

It might seem slightly ironic that only a few posts ago I stated that I don't do girly very well. While that is true, I do like to care for my skin and in recent years have become increasingly convinced that I need to limit my exposure - and my family's exposure - to chemicals. I've always been concerned about what we've been putting into our bodies but I naively believed that if something was sold as skin care then it would be safe to put on our skins. I was shocked to learn just what is in many skin care products (for example, how many know that mineral oil - sold as baby oil - is a byproduct of petroleum and that it prevents the skin from breathing?).

Since this blog is also about feminine beauty I've dedicated this post to safe and effective skin care. Yesterday I happened to stumble across this blog and she confirmed what I've known for a while now: oatmeal makes a great facial scrub. Here are her directions for using it, but honestly, I don't go to that amount of trouble. I just use the rolled oats straight out of the box, mix with some water in the palm of my hand, and gently use to scrub my face and neck. Alternatively, you can place a small handful inside a small piece of fabric such as a cotton handkerchief or muslin, place in warm water (or under the tap/faucet when you're running a bath), and when a thickish milk starts to emerge, rub over your skin (also great for itchy bites).

Another great product that will also gently exfoliate, clean and soothe your skin is something you probably all have in your pantry. Sugar. Yes sugar. I use demura sugar because it looks pretty in a jar in the bathroom but also because I bought it for a particular recipe sometime in the distant past and have never used it since. Works a treat. Just be sure not to leave any particles in the basin if you have a problem with ants.

If you must use a toner (and apparently they really aren't necessary) then apple cider vinegar diluted in distilled water will do the same trick. I'm lazy so I skip this step. Years ago I received some free samples of a skin care range. The cleanser and facial scrub got used up ages ago but there's still a full bottle of toner left. I must admit that I was relieved to learn that I don't need to use it after all.

And while I'm on the topic of apple cider vinegar, it makes a great rinse for your hair (removes any residue shampoo and build up from hard water) and also removes warts. For your hair, simply dilute 1-2 tablespoons in 2-4 cups of water and pour over your hair as a final rinse. I like to quickly rinse it out afterwards but you don't need to. And trust me, the smell does go away as your hair dries. If you really can't stand the smell, trying adding herbs to the vinegar. I love parsley, rosemary, sage and lavender as they all are good for hair and scalp and will give you the shiniest hair in town.

Since I mentioned warts, I guess I better give instructions. Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, apply to the wart and leave in place overnight. You may want to protect the surrounding skin with a barrier cream of some sort. Do this for a few days (some recipes say a fortnight). The wart will turn black. At this stage we just leave it until the scab falls off and then determine whether we need to repeat with the apple cider vinegar. Persistent warts may take several applications before they disappear. You could also try dandelion or milkweed instead of the apple cider vinegar.

Another natural product that is in most kitchens and which I use often is honey. It's great for hair and skin. I mix it with my conditioner for an intense moisturising hair treatment. It can be used with other ingredients such as parsley or rolled oats as a skin mask. Check out recipes on the Internet. There are a lot around and you're sure to find one that suits you.

Tea bags. More specifically: herbal tea bags. If you're after a relaxing bath but worried about all the chemicals in the bath gels and some bath salts (and you should be worried) then throw a couple of herbal tea bags in as you're filling the bath (perhaps the ones that didn't taste as great as you thought they would) and then lie back and enjoy. If your skin is particularly dry, add a few drops of an oil such as coconut, almond, even olive. Inexpensive, indulgent, wonderful.

Not a pantry staple but one that I've come to love nevertheless and which is 'green' is pure whipped Shea butter. It's great as a leave-in for hair (I mix 2 parts Shea butter with one part coconut oil and one part almond oil and then use just the tiniest amount) and it's great as an-purpose skin cream. It moisturises, soothes, protects and even has sun-screen properties. It can be used on its own or added to other ingredients. Try it on sore chapped hands or insect bites, any areas of dry skin, or as a lip balm. Actually, just try it. I love it.

I could list a whole lot more natural items that can be found in the average garden or kitchen, but that should give you a taste (no pun intended). Skin care does not have to be expensive. And it can be lots of fun. Check out the website mentioned above if you're interested and also look for recipes online or in your local library. You might be surprised at how much fun it can be to make your own simple preparations. And the best thing of all is you know exactly what you're putting on your skin!

Comments

Jules said…
On http://www.organicmakeupandskincare.com/ the author lists some of the world's best orangic brands (here: http://www.organicmakeupandskincare.com/organic-makeup-lines.html). I've tried Logona and SANTE cosmetics and liked them. There are also some other brands not listed but which my readers from downunder might like to try:

Living Nature - NZ company and supposedly very good - I've not tried them to date (http://www.livingnature.com/);

Trilogy - another NZ company with great moisturisers (http://www.trilogyproducts.com/);

A'kin - Australian and I use their hair products all the time (http://www.purist.com/);

Miessence - Australian and I've used some of their products and found them to be good.
Mary said…
Oh, I didn't know that about baby oil! How awful! I'll never use it again!!! Or mineral oil, either.
Jules said…
Mary I used it on my children not knowing what it was. I used petroleum jelly too and thought that was just a name! If you're interested, do some research. Some say baby/mineral oil is safe, others that it prevents the skin from breathing, eventually causing skin problems and even leading to mutations. If ingested by children they can suffocate to death. And it can take days or weeks. A horrible way to die.

There are other oils just as readily available and far safer and far more beneficial. Almond (if there's no nut allergy), coconut, olive and similar oils are all great for the skin and certainly wouldn't be as dangerous if they were ingested.
Sharon said…
Good tips. Thanks. - Sharon
Vera said…
Great share, thank you! Believe me, oatmeal is also good for the hair. Mix up some oatmeal, then apply it to your hair while in the shower. Rub it in and let it sit for about 1-2 minutes before washing it out completely. Your hair will be soft and strong. :)
Jules said…
Hi Vera, oatmeal for hair? I'll have to try that. It's good for so many other things so as long as it doesn't make a sticky mess, it's worth a try. I tried a flour and water paste once on my hair which is meant to be conditioning. What a nightmare! It took ages to get out. Hope oatmeal doesn't do the same.