Insane Cake or Cake for the Insane?


The other night as I was trying to cook dinner, bake bread, and make hummus all at the same time I also had the wonderful idea of doing some baking for Son#5 who is currently sitting exams. He wanted Chocolate Chip Muffins but I wanted something where I could just plop all the batter into one tin and be done with it.

A quick search online and I found the perfect recipe. I don't like it when DH changes a recipe even though I do it all the time (as this next recipe proves). But when DH changes one of my recipes I feel offended!

Hopefully though the inventor of this recipe won't be offended. It's called Insanely Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake. I'm not sure why there are two 'Chocolates' in the name as the recipe only has chocolate chips in the ingredient list, but I changed that by adding cocoa - so now two 'chocolates' are allowed!

Here's 'my' recipe:

2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups low fat yoghurt
3/4 cup butter or oil (in my opinion oil gives a moister, yummier cake)
3 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (or more) chocolate chips

Mix yoghurt, butter and eggs together. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. You can do it by hand or use a mixer or a food processor.

Grease and line a round cake tin. Pour half the batter into the tin. Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and chocolate chips and spread half over the batter. Top with remaining batter and then remaining sugar/cinnamon/chocolate chips.

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F) for one hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Served warm it makes a great dessert; cold it's good for lunches and snacks! Try it!

Comments

Unknown said…
Oooo, that sounds really yummy! Wonder how it would taste gluten free. I may have to experiment :).
SchnauzerMom said…
Wow that looks so good!