Well, I Don't Know

"What would you like for your birthday?" I asked Son#5 when we were in town the other day, never dreaming that I'd receive any answer other than the stock "Idontknow" that usually is the response to such questions.

"I'd like a lamp," he replied, much to my surprise. (When I told DH afterwards he asked if I'd fallen over knowing full well that it was not the answer either of us would've expected.)

"What kind of lamp?" I asked.

"One that I can move around when I'm doing my modelling." (No, he's not a model or a photographer even though he's handsome enough to be the former - well I think so anyway - he's just into making model boats and planes and that kind of thing.)

"Okay then. Let's go and buy you one now."

"But you'll have to pay for more parking."

Somehow he didn't get it. Something monumental had just occurred - I had received an answer from my teenage son - and all he was worried about was paying for parking.

"I don't care. Let's see what's around. We don't have to buy it now but it would be good to know what's available."

We ended up buying one. And The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 chose a card to go with it. Today The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 helped me wrap the present and then a few minutes later she helped Son#5 unwrap his present.



Today my "baby" turns seventeen. Seven-teen!

We spent part of the morning cleaning out the sleep-out so that he could set it up permanently to do his models. Before we begun it was near impossible to get into the room or to see a spare inch of dust on his desk. Look at the transformation!




Son#5 might have been able to tell me what he wanted for his birthday, however he didn't disappoint me in other areas.

"What's this?" I asked as we cleaned the room.

"Idontknow."

"Do we need to keep this?" I asked picking up some unrecognisable piece of metal with wires and bits and pieces attached and bearing little resemblance to what it once was in a former life (possibly a DVD player or computer).

"Idontknow."

"Does this work? ... Whose tools are these? ... "

"Idontknow."

Other questions met with a similar response.

"What would you like for your birthday tea?"

"Idontknow."

"How about pizza?"

"Okay."

At least when I asked him what kind of birthday cake he wanted he replied, "Anything that you can eat."

Hopefully it will be edible!



Happy Birthday Son#5!

Comments

campguy said…
Yes, Happy Birthday, "Son #5!" And what do YOU want for YOUR birthday, Julianne? Happy Birthday to you BOTH!
SchnauzerMom said…
Happy Birthday Son #5! Looks like he had a great time. My husband and my brother used to build models.
Unknown said…
Happy Birthday to son #5! I love the picture with all the candles :).