My Valentine's Day

I was having lunch at work yesterday when my phone rang.

"Um Mum, do you think I could use the van today?" asked Son#3.

"I'm sure you could. Why?"

"I want to go to [name of town an hour's drive away]."

There was nothing in his voice to indicate that anything had happened. It must have been a mother's instinct to cause me to immediately ask, "What's happened?"

"I just had a phone call from [girlfriend's mother] and [name of girlfriend] has been knocked off her bike and has gone in the ambulance to hospital."

He might have sounded calm but I wasn't. I told him I'd take him and got myself home as soon as I could. One look at his face and I knew he wasn't as calm as he'd sounded. A few moments after arriving home we learnt that his girlfriend was able to stand and was coherent so we knew our worst fears hadn't been realised. Thank you Lord. But we still didn't know how bad it was.

I suggested that Son#3 pack a bag so that he could stay over if he needed to. We knew enough people who could give him a bed if he was unable to use his flat (which he moves into in the next week or so). He dumped his bag on his bed and then didn't seem to know what to do.

While talking to DH on the phone and explaining what had happened I grabbed a towel to go in the bag and issued a few other suggestions. DH then decided to come home and drive over with us.

While waiting for DH to arrive home, I mentioned to Son#3 that his girlfriend might look different when he saw her.

"I don't care about that," he replied. I was so proud of him.

After a long wait at the hospital, she was discharged. She's doing okay, but she's going to require dental work to fix the broken teeth.

We are just so thankful that she's okay and that it wasn't any worse.

On the way home, DH mentioned that he'd had plans for Valentine's Day (something we don't usually celebrate by the way). I told him that he'd proved his love more to me by his actions that day than any dinner or card could have done. And I meant it.

Comments

winterwren said…
Wow, that must have been terrifying. Life is so precarious. I hope that her healing and dental surgery go well and will pray for her.

You son sounds like a good soul just like his mother. When my husband and I had been dating awhile, he was attacked by a group of young men (five kids, four of them attacked him, and one saved him by pulling them off and telling him to run.) I remember being so scared and sad and realizing how much I love him--and it was a few weeks later that we got engaged! Not that I am implying that your son is going to now get married or anything! Just that things like this can make you realize how much you love someone.
SchnauzerMom said…
Wow that's scary. I'm glad that she is OK. Your husband and son sound like very loving people.
Jules said…
Son#3's girlfriend is doing okay. The dentist began rebuilding the broken tooth and moved the one that had been knocked backwards into place (doesn't it make you want to cringe?). The other loose teeth should right themselves in time. She has to go back for root canal on two teeth in about a fortnight. I don't envy her that. We're just all so thankful that it wasn't any worse.

Winterwren, how scary wtih your husband. And yes things like that do make you realise how much they mean to you.