Words Fail

I don't even know where to start. Perhaps I could begin with how the events for the day unfolded for me.

1.30 pm Text from Son#2 that another earthquake had hit Christchurch.

2.00 pm Via internet learnt that Canterbury University in Christchurch had been closed. Received the impression that the 'quake had been serious.

3.30 pm Heard via parents coming into work to collect their children that 200 people were trapped in buildings in Christchurch.

4.00 pm Prayed for Christchurch and its people in our staff meeting. Colleague obviously worried as she has family in Christchurch.

6.30 pm Arrived home and found DH and Sons#4 & #5 watching the news. It only took a few brief minutes for me to learn the devastating extent of the Christchurch earthquake. Measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale and only five km below the surface, sixty five have already been confirmed dead with the toll expected to rise. Others remain trapped in buildings. Landmarks such as the steeple on the Christchurch Cathedral gone.

It is not quite six months since the first earthquake shook Christchurch in the early hours of September 4, seriously injuring only two people. Today it was a different story. As people were at work, or out shopping, or meeting friends for lunch, or at school or university, the earthquake hit. Almost smack dab in the middle of the central business district. No wonder there are fears that the death toll will rise.

Tonight will be a difficult night. Difficult for those who have already heard the worst news that they can conceive. Difficult for those awaiting still to hear from loved ones. Difficult for those trapped in buildings and darkness falls. Difficult for those sleeping out in the open and with the temperature dropping and rain expected. Difficult for those alone. Difficult for those who have lost everything. Difficult for the children who must surely suffer from nightmares after months of 'quakes. Difficult for the rescue personnel and the discoveries they will make and the risks they will take. Difficult for the hospital staff who have no power and who are going to see many injured coming through the doors.

Difficult ...

Comments

java girl said…
I am praying for them.
busymomof10 said…
Immediately thought of you when I heard the news. Glad you and your family are safe. i know your heart breaks for those who are affected by this tragedy.
Mary said…
Yes, I thought of you immediately, too. My heart goes out to them.
winterwren said…
Was reading the news and it is heartbreaking. I am glad you are okay. I will be praying for Christchurch and for your country. (I have "real life" friends in NZ who I am waiting to here from--but they are farther north, so am hoping they are okay.)
Sharlene said…
When I saw the news, I checked you blog. So glad that you are safe. We pray for your country as you work to recover from this disaster.
Jules said…
Thank you all. We are safe and have heard that Son#2's friends are also safe (he spent half a year down there and became very close to the family he lived with). But the news continues to devastate. Very few people who live in NZ do not know of someone who lives in Christchurch. So in some way everyone has been affected.

Winterwren, if your friends are further north then they'll be okay. The deaths and serious injuries that have occurred have been in the Central Business District of Christchurch. Your friends may have felt the earthquake but they should be fine.
winterwren said…
Jules-

I just responded on the loom, but I will say it again here--thank you so much. I heard from my friends and they are okay. Thank you again. You are so sweet. I really was scared.

I will keep praying.
SchnauzerMom said…
When I heard the news I immediately thought of you. I'm glad you and your family are OK.