The Bride Was Late

While the groom was probably praying that she'd be on time, I was praying that she'd be late. For purely selfish reasons of course.

I'd promised The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#1 that I would take her to the wedding of one of her adored early childhood teachers. We've both been looking forward to it for weeks.

I woke this morning and was so pleased that it was no longer raining and that the sun was shining. I know a bride can be happy in any weather - after all, she's marrying the man of her dreams! - but it is nice if the sun shines. And shine it did today.

I had arranged to drive over and pick up The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 and bring her back for the wedding. I was rather vague about times, saying that I'd get there about lunch time today. This morning, DH asked me several times what time I'd be leaving since he was planning on coming with me to help Son#1 chop wood. Again I was vague and noncommittal. He went off shopping for clothes - virtually unheard of - and I pottered around at home doing some chores and getting some writing done. At 11.40 am I suddenly realised that I should already be at the home of Son#1 and DIL#1. It takes half an hour to drive to their home - each way - and the wedding was at one o'clock!

I immediately rang DH (who was in the shop with clothes in his arms ready to try them on) and told him that I had to go NOW! While waiting for him to come home, I quickly threw on some clothes (shoes could wait until I was in the car), put my hair up into a bun, and patted on some makeup (obviously I'm not afflicted with The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1's passion for getting all "prettied up").

DH arrived home and without wasting anymore time (not even stopping for fuel even though it was getting low) were on our way. We arrived at Son#1 and DIL#1's place at 12.20 pm. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 was still having lunch and not yet dressed. Son#1 threw some sandwiches into a container and hung her dress over the front seat of the car explaining that it was still damp!

Just before reaching town we got stuck behind a truck. We'd been making good time until then. I redoubled my prayers for the bride to be late!

We parked the car at 12.55 pm, whipped The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1's clothes off and put on her pretty dress and shoes, and hurried into the church. I did notice that the car smelt rather funny and thanked God that it had got us into town safely (just have to tell DH now that there could be something wrong with the car - oh dear). We found a space at the end of a pew and gratefully sunk into it. By now I was feeling a little odd - possibly from missing lunch and then rushing like crazy and worrying if we were going to make it in time. By the time the service started (about fifteen to twenty minutes later) I was composed.

The bride looked beautiful, everyone beamed, and it was a joy and a privilege to be present at a Christian wedding. The minister (the father of another friend and teacher) did a wonderful job conducting the service and emphasising the uniqueness of Christian marriage.

I'm so glad we got there but perhaps next time, I'll make better plans in advance. And not be so vague about times.

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 has asked numerous questions and explained her version of the wedding. I have a feeling that we'll be hearing more about weddings in the coming weeks. Oh well. I expected that.


Mary R. said…
SchnauzerMom said…
I'm glad you made it there on time. I would have been a nervous wreck.

Popular posts from this blog

"Proof of Life"

In Praise of Big

Hand or Machine?