Recognised

As I walked into the supermarket today to do my fortnightly grocery shop (and not looking forward to the experience in the least) I heard a woman say, "Excuse me."

I turned around as did a sales person nearby. "Not you," she said to the sales person. "Her." Meaning me.

"Excuse me, but have you written a book?"

When I replied in the affirmative she went on. "Our book club did that book and I loved it. I hope there's going to be a sequel."

I assured her there was and after exchanging a few more words, we parted.

While it gave me a warm glow (I've now acquired star status - lol) I had to wonder, How did she know?

The most obvious answer is that she recognised me from my photo in the back of the book (in the book, not on - don't ask me who made that decision or why because I have no idea) but the truth is, today I did not resemble that photo at all.

For a start, I was suffering with a headache, I was not smiling, I had bags under my eyes, no make-up whatsoever, my fringe was doing its usual 'I'm-not-going-to-behave-today' routine, and had the fashion police been anywhere in attendance I would've been the first person they would've hauled off to gaol! Thankfully I had removed my striped sweater before leaving home and replaced it with a denim jacket but I still had on striped jeans and a striped merino top (the latter covered by the jacket and a white scarf). Oh, and my green socks.

So how did she know?

And what am I going to wear next time I go out in public? I mean, this might never happen again but if it does I want to be prepared. No more stripes for me!

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! You are famous :)! I actually think that is pretty cool that someone knew who you were. And I'm sure you looked gorgeous, even though you weren't dressed up. You were at the grocery store, not on the red carpet, so I don't think anyone would expect glamour in the produce aisle :). I know have a celebrity friend! lol.
SchnauzerMom said…
I think that's great! Congratulations.
Ohtawen said…
Wow, wow, wow. You must have been surprised, Jules, but I agree with Jen - it must be pretty cool when someone recognizes you. And I also
think it's great to hear positive feedback about your book.
I bet it didn't matter that you weren't dressed to the teeth. It made you relatable, which is great!