Why is it that despite a near-perfect driving record (I've only ever backed into a tree once and I only mention that in case one of my sons happens to read this post and remind me of it - and I could remind them of some things that they've managed to hit while driving my car - and while we're on the subject, why does no one ever bring up what DH has managed to hit?) when I took DH to work this morning he sat on the edge of his seat with his hands clasped as if praying, and then jumped out at the traffic lights rather than wait for me to drive around the corner and drop him at the gate?

Why did we have a dead sparrow in our front room earlier in the week?

And why-oh-why do we put ourselves under all this extra pressure at Christmas time? I seem to be getting nowhere fast. Make that super-fast. Today after dropping DH at the traffic lights (which came minutes after saying goodbye to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 and her family who are heading up to DIL#2's family this Christmas), I went and did the grocery shopping and put fuel in the car. Then I came home and between doing dishes and a load of washing sewed up a small table runner in colours to match my kitchen.

After that I started making ice cream (vanilla ice cream and chocolate hazelnut ice cream) so that I can make Cassata for Christmas. I also made three small pavlovas that I will join together with cream to make a yummy pavlova cake (or torte or whatever you like to call it). Meanwhile, DIL#1 had arrived and I had two little helpers both who it turned out had fevers and were rather cuddly. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 wrapped her arms around my neck for dear life and at the faintest hint that I might try and disengage her little arms told me, "Need my Nana." What's a Nana to do?

After clearing the kitchen of mountains of dishes, and pinning and sewing sections of the quilt that DIL#1 is making for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#3 for Christmas, I left Son#3 in charge of The Most Adorable Granddaughters#2 & #3 and went into town where I was playing in an open-air Christmas concert. Along with others from our flute choir we played a selection of Christmas carols (fourteen to be exact and two of those we did again when asked for an encore). After that I met DH and we went Christmas shopping. The burning question is: What does Son#4 want for Christmas? Seems no one knows - least of all Son#4.

I then came home to a houseful of people and discovered that I'd done the quilt cover upside down. I'd put the opening at the top instead of at the bottom. Out came the seam ripper and I started on that while Son#3 began cooking dinner. Somehow I managed to eat my food while cuddling The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2. Then it was more pinning, and DIL#1 sewed up the seams while The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1, #2, & #3 had baths. After that, we all admired the completed quilt, before Son#1 took his adorable family home.

A quick rush around cleaned up the house to an almost-respectable stage, I folded up what looked like a year's worth of towels and tea towels (no wonder there were none left in the drawer) and now I'm sitting here catching my breath and thinking about bed.

Tomorrow is another day and I have a feeling it's going to be just as busy. Or worse. So why do we do it? And is it too late to stop this crazy cycle?


SchnauzerMom said…
Wow you definitely had a busy day. I don't have a good answer to your question. We're gluttons for punishment I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

"Proof of Life"

In Praise of Big

Hand or Machine?