Promised

Recently I mentioned a toy that I'd sewn for The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#3 but which I didn't post a picture of since I didn't want anyone seeing it before she did. Well ... now I can post a picture and for anyone who was really hanging out to see it, you'll be wondering now what all the fuss was about.

It's simply a cover for a balloon with ribbons that little hands can grasp. I was rather lazy when drafting the pattern and didn't use any mathematical calculations which explains why after several attempts I still haven't managed to produce a perfect example. Perhaps next time, I might get out the ol' brain and pencil and paper and work it out properly.




Still, it doesn't stop The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 from playing with an older and even less-perfect version.



I also have another promise to fulfil and that is the recipe for this yummy self-crusting quiche. I typed up the recipe this morning for Son#4 who is adding to his repertoire of meals that he can cook so it's an easy matter to transfer the instructions here. I've made a number of these quiches before but this would have to be the best recipe I've come across yet.

SELF CRUSTING QUICHE
5-6 eggs (the recipe calls for 6 but when you make 3 quiches all at once - as I did recently - I decided to not use the full 18 eggs!)
½ cup milk
¼ cup cornmeal flour (sometimes known as polenta)
1 small red onion chopped
2 cups diced vegetables such as spinach, zucchini, celery, green beans, tomato, capsicum (pepper), cauliflower, broccoli, carrot (grated), etc
1 cup peas and/or corn
¼ cup in total of chopped fresh chives and parsley (or halve the amount if using dried)
salt and pepper
2-3 cooked rashers of bacon, or small amount of chopped ham or chicken, or 1 small can of salmon if desired (you could leave this out and I suspect it would still taste great)
approx ½ cup grated cheese (optional but I can't imagine a quiche without cheese)

Line a 20cm spring-from pan with paper or grease a deep pie or quiche dish. Beat together eggs, milk and cornmeal. Stir through remaining ingredients (it will look like vegetables coated with a thin glaze of egg - that's why I love this recipe: all the vegetables in it) and pour into prepared pan. Bake at 200˚C for 30-40 minutes until puffed and golden. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Ideal warm or cold.

Serves 6-8 with salad or vegetables.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
That is a really cute toy and she looks like she is having a lot of fun.
Unknown said…
You are so creative, Jules! What a neat idea about the balloon cover! The recipe sounds yummy. I love that it is gluten free. That means I can eat it :). Thanks for posting that!
Jules said…
SchnauzerMom and Jen, I can't take credit for this toy. It's one that we've used in our work but they're so expensive to buy. I quickly traced the pattern and then tried to adapt it to make it easier to sew. As I said, I didn't bother with the maths - and I should have! Still, no one is complaining too much.

Jen, I've changed the recipe slightly after I went back to my cookbook and discovered that I'd made some errors (mainly that cornmeal should be fine not coarse). The cheese wasn't in the original recipe so if you're dairy free you could leave that out and use a substitute for the milk. You might also like my quiche with a rice base. The recipe is here somewhere. :)