Duck, Duck


I am not a fan of Daylight Saving Time. DH says it makes no difference at all and can't understand why it bothers me. Perhaps it's because I don't particularly like change. Or perhaps it's because I'd rather regulate my waking and sleeping times by the sun and not by some enforced law. I can identify with L. M. Montgomery's character Susan in her Anne books and the indignation she felt over the introduction of Daylight Saving time:

... But when the Government passed the Daylight Saving law Susan balked. There was a Higher Power than the Union Government, to which Susan owed allegiance.

"Do you think it right to meddle with the arrangements of the Almighty?" she demanded indignantly of the doctor. The doctor, quite unmoved, responded that the law must be observed, and the Ingleside clocks were moved on accordingly. But the doctor had no power over Susan's little alarm.

"I bought that with my own money, Mrs. Dr. dear," she said firmly, "and it shall go on God's time and not Borden's time."

Susan got up and went to bed by "God's time," and regulated her own goings and comings by it. She served the meals, under protest, by Borden's time, and she had to go to church by it, which was the crowning injury. But she said her prayers by her own clock, and fed the hens by it; so that there was always a furtive triumph in her eye when she looked at the doctor. She had got the better of him by so much at least (from Rilla of Ingleside).

However, the start of Daylight Saving this year had some momentarily advantages. In later weeks when I'm moaning over having to eat and work and sleep by an artificial time, I'll try and remember these advantages.

One: when I wake in the morning there is some satisfaction in seeing my clock read 5.59 rather than 4.59. Not that I make a habit of waking at either time, but just lately I seem to be awake that early. At least the former doesn't seem too early and I don't have to spend the next hour lying in bed trying to will myself back to sleep.

Two: due to having to put their clocks forward thus losing an hour of precious sleep and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 waking every two hours during the night, Son#2 and DIL#2 were feeling rather sleep deprived yesterday morning. Not that this is a good thing ... but it did mean that DH and I got to spend a few hours with The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 in the afternoon so that her Mummy could sleep.

After taking DH's mother out to the cemetery where The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 gave us a rather disbelieving look when she was told to say goodbye to her great-grandfather and great-aunt (what kind of family is this that keeps their relatives in the ground?), we went to the park to see the birds.

Every bird was "duck, duck". Which was okay at first ...












... and toward the end of our visit, but I wonder how some of these birds would feel if they knew they were classified in the same category as the duck?

Still, she seemed to enjoy it ... and I know DH and I did. Perhaps we could have Daylight Saving every weekend if it meant we got to spend time with The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4. In just twenty-three weeks (if my maths is correct) we'd be back to 'normal time' again. Wait, we probably will be anyway by then. Oh well, it was a thought. 

Comments

Sharlene said…
I agree with you about time changes. I didn't like them when I was growing up. It seemed to mess up the day. I am glad that I live in a country that doesn't change time. The only problem is when my daughters in the USA call. Part of the year we are all the same time. The other part of the year their 10:00 p.m. calls are 11:00 calls for us.