I remember

I can remember when we had no telephone at home and had to walk a couple of blocks to use the public telephone that was housed inside a red booth. I never liked using it and was always afraid it was going to eat my coins.

I can remember black and white television. In fact, our first television when we were married was black and white, although colour had been in for a while by then.

I can remember when an apple was something you ate and a mackintosh was either a toffee or a piece of outerwear in English books (or at least that's what I think it was).

I can remember when we called teachers sir or ma'am.

I can remember when the principal kept a cane in his/her office and was not afraid to use it.

I can remember free milk at school. I liked milk but for some reason it didn't taste that good straight from the bottle on a hot summer's day even if it had been sitting in the shade since it had been delivered.

I can remember milk and bread deliveries to your door when the milk came in bottles (at least I think it did) and the bread was wrapped in paper.

I can remember when hardware meant nails and screws and software had not been invented.

I can remember when you could buy two licorice sticks for one cent.

I can remember when twenty cents was a fortune for a child.

I can remember when chatting with friends meant face-to-face with verbal language.

I can remember when you wore your best clothes to town and to church.

I can remember ... many things ... I wonder what my children will remember that their children and grandchildren will think archaic?

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Wow you and I have some of the same memories. Times are changing. But this new generation will have their own fond memories when they get older.

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting Short Row Heels (A Knitting Post)

How Not To Take Family Photos

Advice Needed