In Praise of Women

Today is Mothers Day and we remember and celebrate our mothers. For some, it can be a very difficult time. Not everyone had loving mothers and so they approach the day with mixed feelings. Or some lost their mothers too soon and the day holds regrets and painful memories. Others, long to be mothers but aren't and so struggle with the pain of infertility or miscarriage, singlehood or widowhood, or the loss of a child or children. For those who are Christians, it can be a very difficult day as pastors exalt the calling of motherhood and fail to be sensitive to the pain of those often silent women in their congregations or fail to acknowledge those that have fulfilled their desire to nurture by ministering or serving others in need.

For years I hated Mothers Day. I had this misguided notion that the pastor (men?) felt that if they praised us one day from the pulpit each year it was like a pat on the back that said, "Hey, you're doing a good job, keep on." I obviously failed to see the calling for what it was and felt resentful that no one appreciated the work and the sacrifice that went into being a mother. What I also failed to understand was that it made no difference whether anyone noticed or not: I was doing it unto the Lord and He saw.

Nowadays I enjoy Mothers Day (perhaps in part because I no longer have to pretend to enjoy cold cups of tea and uncooked eggs and appear thankful) and today was no exception. I was blessed to have half my family around me, and actually enjoyed being involved in feeding them and cleaning up after them. It was also a blessing to have my husband's mother with us. I shared last year the poem that my DIL gave me. While I feel undeserving of such praise, the words couldn't be truer about my husband's mother.

However, since I took no photos today, I'm going to finish with some inspirational quotes about mothers and women. I hope you enjoy them too!

"Many people have said to me, 'What a pity you had such a big family to raise. Think of the novels and the short stories and the poems you never had time to write because of that.' And I looked at my children and I said, 'These are my poems. These are my short stories."
- Olga Masters, 1919 - 1986, Australian Writer

"When a woman tells the truth she is creating the possibility for more truth around her."
- Adrienne Rich, American Poet and Writer

"Women are the real architects of society."
- Harriet Beecher Stowe, 1811-1896, American Writer

"Through the blur, I wondered if I was alone or if other parents felt the same way I did - that everything involving our children was painful in some way. The emotions, whether they were joy, sorrow, love or pride, were so deep and sharp that in the end they left you raw, exposed and yes, in pain. The human heart was not designed to beat outside the human body and yet, each child represented just that - a parent's heart bared, beating forever outside its chest."
- Debra Ginsberg

"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."
- Abraham Lincoln

"When your mother asks, 'Do you want a piece of advice' it's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway."
- Erma Bombeck


Comments