Behind

As usual, I'm lagging behind everyone else and late catching onto a craze. First, it was socks. After everyone else's obsession has begun to wane, I suddenly jumped in and discovered a new obsessive hobby.

Then it was top-down knitting. I started with a cardigan for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5, loved it so much, that I did one for  The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4, then one for myself, then one each for The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1-3.

Now, it's baktus. (I wonder if the plural is bakti???). From what I understand, a baktus is a triangular shaped scarf that can also double as a mini-shawl. They can be knit in any weight yarn, although sock weight/4ply seems to be the most popular.

I fell into the baktus craze quite by accident. I had one skein of sock yarn that had already begun life as a pair of socks, but I was so over socks and decided to look for another project. I certainly didn't expect the response when I searched for a pattern using just one skein of 4 ply yarn. I mean, it didn't seem like much to work with. But it was. And now I am over halfway through my first baktus and have already begun researching online for ideas and edges for my next one (or two?) baktus scarves.


And while I'm quite enjoying this latest craze, I can't help but wonder if one day I might jump on the craze wagon when it first sets off on its journey rather than when it's nearing the finish line?

Comments