If It Moves

Having had all sons I know that they tend to be fascinated from an early age with things that move us from one point to another: cars, bikes, trains, buses, motorbikes (especially motorbikes!), planes, helicopters, etc. Not so their mother.

Especially not so in a foreign country where there are no seatbelts, no recognisable road rules (I did eventually work out that he who sounds his horn the loudest has right of way), where a red light doesn't mean what I assume a red light to mean (did the driver even see it?), and where road signs are few and far between (I think I saw one destination sign and no speed signs).

For someone who is always a little nervous getting in a car for any long journey, this was frightening to say the least. It was one of my greatest fears after flying and the boat (I never got over my fear of the boat but I did become rather blasé about flying).

The passage and poem I took with me to South East Asia really helped me every time I had to step onto a plane, into a rocking boat, and into a car with no seatbelts (or if they had seatbelts they didn't work - and thank you to my wonderful DH who elected not to wear a seatbelt when his worked and mine didn't even though I reminded him it would be better if one parent/grandparent returned home rather than none).

The passage from Isaiah 41:10 (which I've shared before) could be written this way:

Fear not ... God is with you.
Fear not ... God is your God.
Fear not ... God will strengthen you.
Fear not ... God will help you.
Fear not ... God will uphold you.

And the words of the poem by Marie Louise Haskins:

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, ‘Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.’ And he replied, ‘Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.’ So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night.

I love the line "better than light and safer than a known way" and I found this so true despite the unknown of planes ...





boats ...




 buses and cars ...




(sometimes filled to the brim)


(and with fuel for sale on the side of the road in empty soft drink bottles)


other modes of transport (amazingly I have no photos to share of the motorbikes which were EVERYWHERE) ...




 and the dangers of travel on foot ...


But going forth I trod gladly into the night (unknown).

Comments

Sharlene said…
Isn't it wonderful how God's Word can help us?
Your quilts are lovely! I would love to make a quilt, but I don't think I have the patience.