Day 33: Tolerable

I am grateful that The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 tolerated my presence at our wee celebratory graduation dinner for Son#4 last night despite stating earlier that she wanted only Grandpa and Uncle#4 to attend. I suspect she was so distracted by watching all the other people in the restaurant and the traffic outside the window and the 'fire' in the lights opposite that she almost forgot my presence. I'm not even sure if she really knew what she was putting in her mouth as she did it mechanically without looking at her food while her head swivelled around to watch the next interesting person pass our table.

I'm not sure what I've done - or haven't done - to not rank very high in either of The Most Adorable Granddaughters#4 and #5 list of top ten people. I've become used to hearing a little voice ask "Grandpa?" as soon as they walk in the door and when on learning that he's not available to go through the names of the uncles likely to be at home before settling for me, but I will admit that I'm beginning to wish for another grandchild who thinks I'm the bees knees! It's been such a long time - even The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2's earlier adoration has worn off somewhat - and Uncle#4 has expressed a desire for a nephew (perhaps a Grandson would find me as alluring as the Granddaughters do Grandpa?)

To be fair, The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 did say my name when she was here yesterday - as she looked past me for Grandpa and Uncle #4. I should be grateful for such recognition. And tonight when I asked The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 if she knew I loved her, she said, "Yes. I love you, too." She then did go on to say that she loved Grandpa again and again and again, but, hey, I'll be grateful for whatever I can get!

However, despite all this, I still somehow manage to end up on nappy duty (excuse me, how does that work?) but I am wondering if tonight when The Most Adorable Granddaughter #4 sleeps over (at her request because she wants to sleep in Nana's cot) if I'll be feeling grateful because Grandpa will be on bedtime duty and I can skip the one hundred and one retellings of her favourite story!



 

Comments