Day 50: Shopping Lists

Conversation in our home on Thursday night after I'd done what was for me a big grocery shop.

DH: Did you get any marmalade?

Me: Was it on the shopping list?

DH: No. Half the time I don't even know where the list is. [Um, same place it always is.]

Son #4 also happened to mention that we had no powdered milk. I didn't bother asking him if it was on the list because I knew it wasn't. The only items on the list were ones I'd written there.

Despite this, I am grateful for shopping lists. If I don't eat it, I don't know we're out of it. If we run out and someone writes it on the list, I buy it. Easy. I AM NOT a mind reader.

This reminds me how sometimes we expect a spouse, children, friends, to know how we're feeling, or what we're thinking. I am guilty more than most of expecting others to know what I want or am thinking. I expect them to be mind readers because I figure they know/love me. We live in the same house, after all.

Except it doesn't work that way. Four adults living in the same house this past week and I still didn't know that we needed marmalade and powdered milk. Perhaps I should write lists for my family of what I expect? The only flaw in that way of thinking is that they probably wouldn't be able to find the lists!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting Short Row Heels (A Knitting Post)

Advice Needed

Winter Getaway