A Shameful Confession

I have a confession to make. A rather shameful one as it turns out. Are you ready for it?

I can't quick piece QSTs (Quarter Square Triangles).

Did you get that?

I CAN'T quick piece QSTs.

Shameful, especially for one whose blog profile says that said blogger is a quilter.

I mean, I can sew them. But they never turn out the correct size.

I get the maths and everything. I mean it's not that hard and I did do maths at Uni. I can work all that out okay.

And I get that 1/8" out in the cutting and then 1/8" out in the sewing multiplied by the number of seams to be sewn can add up to a big difference so I try REALLY HARD for precision in both cutting and piecing. I even used imperial rulers (my second language having been brought up on metric) and my 1/4" foot on my sewing machine, but I still can't get my QST's to end up the same size.

Case in point:

 

I'm not sure if my HSTs (Half Square Triangles) are any better. Since there's less sewing, there's a good chance that they are close to the desired size, and the only problem I've encountered so far with them is that they are larger than required but that's because I cut the triangles larger (can't remember now if it was on purpose or by accident) so I've had to trim them down.

It's not as if it's a difficult block. The Ohio Star is the second block I ever pieced - by hand - and this is simply a variation of that block. And it's such a pretty block. The quilt I saw online from which I've taken my inspiration is absolutely stunning. Stunning.

Unlike my attempt.

However all is not lost. I can drag out my trusty template plastic and pencil and use that tried and true method. It will just take longer. But I think the results will be worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting Short Row Heels (A Knitting Post)

The Bride (and Groom) Wore White

How Not To Take Family Photos