Poppies, Socks And An Edit

This morning I threw off my cardigan and enticed our children outside to eat in the sunshine. I came home and sowed seeds in my garden: salvia, cornflour, poppies, snapdragons, cosmos, and lavender. Oh glorious spring! This evening I am in front of the fire as the snowy blast that hit the south earlier today now makes its presence felt our way.

Two days ago I was wondering how long I had before it was time to pack away my sock and blanket knitting. Tonight I'm planning my next project. Knitting items for warmth still feels like a valid pastime. Here are just a few of the projects I've been working on ...

After waiting what seemed like months the wool for DH's socks finally arrived and I was able to finish the second sock. He's wearing them tonight.




I finally finished the pink socks in 8 ply after having to undo the first sock when I couldn't get it over my heel. I should've known that the smaller needles were not going to work. I also redid the cuff on the first sock after completing the second sock and discovering I had enough yarn to complete both socks (and didn't need a contrast cuff in white which I didn't like).




I still haven't finished this pair. In fact, I haven't worked on them much at all but that might change if this icy blast hangs around. I also redid the cuff on the first sock after it seemed too loose. It's a better fit now and I'm happy with the features I incorporated into this sock:


slipped stitch and cable pattern ...


slipped stitch pattern on sole and back of leg ...


gusset in centre of sole ...


eye of partridge stitch on gusset and heel flap ...


slipped stitch heel ...


and a decorative finish to the cuff (you can just see it in one of the photos above).

I've also finished one square of four in the latest blanket I'm working on. I've incorporated wool from a cardigan I undid that I knitted for myself and only ever wore once (I wish I'd taken a photo of The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1wearing it as it looked so much better on her even if it was too big) and a poncho someone gave me but which I knew I'd never wear given the fact the colour was one that makes me look decidedly sick.




On another front, I finally finished the latest edit of my latest novel. It's only taken me forever given I kept adding scenes and even whole chapters. Hopefully the next edit will be quicker and will be the last. And then comes the next step ...

Comments