Two Quilts And A Blanket

I've been waiting a few weeks to post photos of my latest projects (including that very special quilt that I alluded to a little while ago). Posting the photos has hinged on several factors being just right: one, finishing the articles in question; two, Son#5 delivering the articles; and three, DIL#3 actually receiving the articles. Now that these criteria have been met, I can post with gleeful abandon.

Firstly, the very special quilt.  I doubt I need to point out that this is a baby quilt. Yes, Son#3 and his wife are expecting and so what better reason than to make a baby quilt? (And for the Son who wondered if all my grandchildren are very special: absolutely!).









I also knitted a blanket and cardigan. In the past my mother has knitted a baby shawl each time a daughter, and now granddaughter/granddaughter-in-law, has become pregnant for the first time, but I wasn't sure if she would be well enough to do so this time. It turns out that she has already pulled out her needles and started knitting, but there's no harm in having several blankets on hand. I knitted the blanket in cotton since baby is due in October and hopefully the weather will be starting to warm up by then. The cardigan was also knitted in cotton. I've used this pattern before but never with cotton. It knitted up okay but the cotton isn't lovely and soft like a lot of baby yarns are. (Ironically, the brand of cotton had the word soft in its name.)



Still, DIL#3 seems happy with it and hopefully it won't be too scratchy on baby.

Several weeks ago - before the quilt had been wrapped up and sent up with Son#5 - we came home from church to find a fire engine parked at the end of our drive. Assuming that no one else was at home (I was later proved wrong), my first thought was for the baby quilt! Thankfully it was a false alarm (it wasn't even for us but for one of our neighbours) and the quilt and the occupants of the house were all safe.


But just a few days ago there was another fire in our neighbourhood. The occupants were safe - although the husband suffered burns to his hands - but the wife is a colleague of mine and I knew she was due to have a baby as early as next month! Not knowing at the time whether their house or belongings were salvageable (apparently they are) I decided to make her a baby quilt that wouldn't smell like smoke.

I learnt yesterday that she was expecting a little girl so I purchased some cute fabrics in pink, mauve and blue and sewed up this quilt today. Yes, in one day! I'm still pinching myself that I did it so quickly. (And those who remember my earlier headaches with machine quilting: after quilting-as-you-go with the strips and a cotton wadding, I added more machine quilting! And not a headache or tantrum in sight. No wonder I want to pinch myself blue!)






I still have to hand sew the binding to the back but not a bad effort for five to six hours' work.

I just hope she can use it.


Comments