Church Without The Building

Today was our first Sunday in total lockdown but our second Sunday for meeting together without a building. Just consider that for a moment: Church is happening - worldwide, I imagine - without a physical building. What we've always known - i.e. Church is the people and not the building - we are experiencing as reality.

Although we are not able to come together in a physical place, we are able to meet together online. As our sermon livestreamed, I was encouraged to read the comments of others listening in also (even if just a "Good morning" or "Smith family joining in today" or "Amen" from an individual or family whose username I did not recognise) and knowing that we were together as one even if we couldn't see beyond the walls of our individual homes.

This week - due to failing to check the time of the livestream - DH and I did our time together a little differently. We started with the sermon, followed by the suggested playlist of songs, and then followed by communion. Afterwards, we played some of the songs again.


If we needed a reminder that God is in control and that none of this has taken Him by surprise, this week's - and last week's sermon - were timely reminders. Our sermon series are planned in advance - sometimes up to a year in advance. This series has been so appropriate and applicable to this particular season.

We have been looking at Jesus in His own words. Last week the message was "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." With so much misinformation, with fears around COVID-19, it was certainly an appropriate sermon. Today's message was "I am the Resurrection and the Life". Leading up to Easter, perhaps not a surprising choice (although as I said, this series was chosen months ago) but what perhaps was surprising was what our pastor brought out in his sermon.

He read from John 11:1-16 where Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. A well-known story and we all know the ending, but when Mary and Martha had seen their brother dead and laid in the grave, with Jesus, to whom they had sent a message, nowhere in sight, what were their feelings? The depth of their anguish - knowing He could have helped but hadn't come? And yet, as they were to learn later, His ways are not our ways. It wasn't until Lazarus was dead - when there could be no argument about him being well and truly dead - that Jesus came to them. And why had He delayed? So that by raising Lazarus from the dead - by releasing them from their suffering - God would be glorified.

In this time of worldwide suffering and the accompanying fear, when God seems to delay and our prayers appear to go unanswered, how can we view this as an opportunity to glorify God?

What can I do?

I love to write. I've seen a call to writers to use this time to bring hope to others. But recently, words have been lacking. On social media I've been sharing the words of others - words that are more profound than anything I could ever write. When I do write, it tends to be heavy and clumsy. I'm not even sure if there is a call on my life to write right now. And yet, I believe, have always believed, that God has given me this gift, so even in this time, when the words are lacking, I feel that I should be doing something.

One thing that I have been doing is sharing prayers that arrive in my inbox each day from YouVersion. Today, I felt that I needed to add something to the particular post rather than simply sharing the prayer, and immediately this verse came to mind ...

Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. (Jeremiah 33:3, NKJV).

Having posted the verse with the accompanying prayer, I turned to my Bible. Rather than turn to Psalms or Proverbs as I would on the weekend, I decided to read all of Jeremiah Chapter 33.

The end of the last verse struck me and after reading it several times, I added it (rather awkwardly as a comment) to my previous social media post ...

… for I will cause their captivity to be reversed and will have mercy on them. (Jeremiah 33:26b, WMBEE).

Together these two verses from Jeremiah are powerful in their promise and hope and as we continue in this isolation - for however long - may we be able to bring glory to the Father of all who knows the beginning and the end and Who will never leave us nor forsake us.

Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and might things, which you do not know … for I will cause [your] captivity to be reversed and will have mercy on [you].

Even so, Lord Jesus, come.

Comments