The Story Of Another Quilt

During Level 4 Lockdown, I began sewing half square triangles together to form a split star.














While I loved the pattern, I did not love the colours together. I persevered for several days, hoping that eventually it would all come together and I would eventually like the look, but, nope, I continued to hate it.

In the end I unpicked every single block - something that isn't too hard to do when you have a lot of time on your hands as we did during Level 4 Lockdown.


I was left with a whole lot of half squares, and not a lot of fabric choices as the shops were still shut and I had pretty much used up every available piece of fabric in my house. I decided to sew all those half squares into pinwheel blocks and then I tried adding squares in an attempt to make a reasonable sized quilt with what fabric I did have on hand ...




and hated it even more than the first attempt. (If we still had a dog this would have been a good candidate for a dog's blanket … but we no longer have a dog and I couldn't think of another use for anything this ugly.)

This time I couldn't be bothered undoing all the seams so instead I carefully cut them apart and then trimmed to uniform size. This meant that the blocks were all smaller than when I had started out but were still useable.

I then auditioned the blocks against a variety of solid colour fabrics (not necessarily quilting fabrics as I had precious few of those but anything that would give me an idea of what might possibly work with this mixed bag of blocks.









I decided that the navy was my favourite. By this time, restrictions had lifted somewhat and I could order online locally. I chose a marbled dark blue fabric and used it as sashing between all the pinwheel blocks and for the border.


Much better. Now I no longer cringe whenever I look at it. And it's still large enough for a decent lap quilt. All I have to do now is finish quilting it and I'll have another memento from Lockdown.

Comments