Impolite


There is an old adage that says that one should never discuss politics or religion in polite conversation. I'm not sure that this would be classified as polite conversation but since my faith is very important to me, I have no qualms writing about it on this blog. Politics are another matter. I realise that firstly, I know very little to be able to write on the subject for very long and remain relevant and factual, and, secondly, that I believe everyone is entitled to their own views even when I think those views are wrong.

However, since our election and its results this past weekend (and tired of reading others' commentaries on our election - particularly those who do not even live here or have the right to vote) I felt the need to put some thoughts down. If you want polite conversation, this might not be the place for it today.  

A few weeks ago Son#5 told me he would disown me if I happened to vote a certain way. I don't know where he thinks he got his political bias from, but chances are I did not vote in such a way for that dreadful calamity to befall me. 

The results of this past election were no surprise. I don't know if anyone - even the Opposition Party - expected the outcome to be otherwise. Whether COVID-19 is to blame or not, I don't know, but I am reminded of a scene in the movie "Amazing Grace" where Barbara Ann Spooner encourages William Wilberforce to try again for the abolition of slavery. Barbara, who would later become his wife, says in effect, "Now the war with France is over and people are no longer afraid and when people are not afraid they rediscover their conscience."

I wonder if in the fear of a global pandemic we have lost our conscience … that still not knowing how this virus will play out we are afraid of change and we pin our hopes on the Prime Minister whose actions appear to have kept us relatively safe and healthy thus far. (Only 25 COVID-19 deaths reported to date.)

If that is true, then it is sad that we can only think of our own lives and not the thousands of lives killed each year in the womb (not forgetting that earlier this year an extremely liberal abortion bill was slipped through parliament while most people were trying to come to terms with Lockdown and its effect on their lives) or the possibility of the lives that will be ended prematurely if the government gets their way on the proposed Euthanasia Bill. (I suspect that even if the majority of New Zealanders voted against it in the referendum that this Bill is not going to get packed away and forgotten for the next one hundred years).

What of the lives ruined as a result of the Lockdown? Businesses forced to close, families living on the breadline, increase in domestic violence and suicide. Do their lives not matter?

Not to mention the attack on the family and Christianity that we have witnessed under this government's leadership.

Scrolling through the names and credentials of the new MPs I was struck by the number who were openly living in same-sex relationships. Apparently the new government that will be formed will be the most diverse parliament New Zealand has ever had "'in terms of gender, and minority ethnic and indigenous representation'. ... It is also expected to be the most rainbow representative parliament system in the world, with about 10% of the members in the 120-seat house being openly lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender" (Read more here.)

I tremble to think what we have opened the doors to in terms of the policies, bills, and actions of this new government. In three years time, when we come to vote again, how different will New Zealand look to what it does right now?  How much further down the slippery slope will we have slid?

Will we even be able to sing those words of our National Anthem: "God of nations! At thy feet / In the bonds of love we meet, / Hear our voices, we entreat, / God defend our free land. ... Men of every creed and race / Gather here before thy face … Lord of battles, in they might / Put our enemies to flight … Make us faithful unto thee … Preaching love and truth to man / Working out they glorious plan / God defend New Zealand"?

It would appear that we have moved far from the Christian heritage that begat such an anthem. 

We do not know what the future holds but there is One who does and He has told us how we are to act: 

If my people, who are called by My Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land (2 Chronicles 7:14).

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established (Romans 13:1).

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness (1 Timothy 2:1-2).

Regardless of what side of the fence we sit on, our feelings on the election results, our attitude towards our Prime Minister, or our view of the Opposition Party, we can rest in the assurance that this election did not take God by surprise. Nor are we to sit idle, whine to our friends, or moan on our blogs. God has called us to pray for our leaders - as hard as that might be. 

Comments